Win XP user loading issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumblebee Tuna

In Runtime
I have a PC with 6 user accounts. Two of which when you click on the account, as it boots, you get an error stating that "C:\programs could not be found." I don't know of any program that would use programs as opposed to program files. But anyways, is there a way to get it to stop searching for that file, or is the program that was there need to be completely removed. And if that's the case, how do I find out what was there? I hope this make sense:p

Hmm.. I can only think of two things right now..

First check run msconfig.exe and check your startup tab under the admin account. If you see something directed at this program files area that doesn't or shouldn't belong, deselect it and restart the rig, see if that works.

Otherwise when you install a program you can select to install for current user or for all users.. If you installed a program for all users before these 2 accounts (causing the problem) were created, perhaps this is an issue? Althought I highly doubt it..

good luck =)

I'm not too sure, but i suggest you go into your user profiles, and see what differs for the 2 that are not working, from the ones that do.

XP gives you the option as a user to customize the desktop etc, and the profile settings are saved on the drive. Perhaps the path to the profiles has been changed, so it cant load their desktop preference?

Check the other accounts and see what files are linked to.

thanks guys, I did check in msconfig, and there was a start up issue in there. I disabled it and removed whatever remnince was left of it, and that worked. Excellent Smithers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom