2.66 P4
30gig HD + 120gig HD
512mb 2700 DDR
DVD player
CDR-WR
SB Live 5.1
Geforce4 Ti4200
XP Pro

I did some parts swapping when I could. I have installed every new driver, XP is completely up to date. (just checked it again)
I even updated the BIOS on my mobo.

When I am running graphics programs (ie, photoshop, illustrator, macromedia, even 3d programs like 3dMAX) no problem.
The second I want to play a game (MOHAA, NOLF2, Marrowinds...etc.) I can play about 10-30min. then the systems crashes sometimes to the desktop sometimes it restarts the system.

I thought it might be my video card, but I swapped it with an old
ATI 7000 32mb card, and got the same results.

Next, I ran the memory check software from MS, thinking the ram was bad, but it didn't find anything.

Lastly I removed the sound card and used the sound off the mobo. still no luck!

Any help, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe a heat issue? You're cranking the CPU with the games firing. I had that problem a while back so I took my covers off and pointed a kingsize fan right into the box and no more crashes. So I bought hardware to keep the box cooler. Also I had problems with Soundblaster in the past causing games to stutter, hiccup or just reset or crash to desktop. Make sure ya got their latest drivers. I've removed the soundblaster card and work off the on-board sound system that came with the Mobo. :mad:

Thats sounds like good advice. I also removed my soundblaster card and am running off the mobo now. But it didn't help the crashes.
Your the second person who has told me to try a box fan, I'm going to give that a try tomorrow.
Also could it be that I need a bigger power supply?
Thanks for the help!

let me know if it works as I have been through this loop too.

Damned anoying I reformatted,removed SB hardware, tried ATI card instead of geforce2, still no good.

So if a fan is the thing I'll give it a go. My box already has 5 fans and is noisey as hell.

Good luck:confused:

I tried the fan and that helped but only slightly, but here is the thing that finally worked for me (at least so far)... a bigger power supply was the trick.
I went from a 350watt to a 420. My first power supply was generic and the guy and computer shop said that even though it said 350 it may have only been a 220. So I went with a Chieftec 420 ps and so far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom