Anyone have a desktop with a wireless network, and XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sui

Daemon Poster
Anyone using a desktop with a wireless network, and XP?

If so what card are you using? Brand and model would be nice, but if you don't know , then either or will work.

Did you have massive driver problems, or any other problems with the card?

Linksys WMP54G = massive driver problem
motorola wpci810G = card was DOA, will replace tomarro.

I do, I do, I do!!!! I use Linksys Wireless G 54mpbs with a mixed network. No problems whatsoever. XP does a basic install for you but if you want it your wireless locked down, you need to configure it yourself.

I have used D-Link and Netgear PCI wireless cards in desktops. I have found too many compatability issues with Linksys.

With the Netgear, I use their utility for the wireless connection.

With the D-link, I use the windows wireless utility. I like the wireless utility that comes with SP2, it is cleaner and seems to have less issues than that which came with SP1.

In our shuttle PC's, we use this Wireless Module

Anyway it goes, make sure you get a "G" card and not a "B". "G" has a greater range and higher data transfer rate.

i have a linksys wag54g router and 2 desktops linked to it, both are wireless b, 1 dlink card and one cheap ebuyer brand card. ive had loads of problems with it, it likes to disconnect or lag both of them, mine comp has got a wire to it and i have very few problems. so i dont know :(

switch said:
I have found too many compatability issues with Linksys.
rate.

Damn I could have used that info before I bought that card. I'm really starting to consider a wired network, for all the time and resources I spent on this 'simple' wireless network I could have crawled into the crawl space under this house and installed cat5 cables at 12 foot intervolts in every room.

Found out the motorola card wasn't doa, but still didn't get it working, says unable to start, so in addition to not being able to put a backing plate on correctly, they also can't make a driver.

3 out of 40 views, so thats 8 out of a 100 people have wireless networks, but its probably less then 4 when you factor in people that have no technical skill, and that people here will have been into computers longer, and thus have a network to go wireless. So wow 3-4% of computer people are in market for wireless pci cards. Figure about 8 companys competing for that 3-4%, I guess I know why they never update the driver huh?

gezzz what a waste of my time and money. I have a gaming computer that can play solitare....... wow I could do that on my laptop. I better stop before this turns into a rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom