6800 GT vs. X800 XL (PCI Express)

Status
Not open for further replies.

persianxballer

In Runtime
I know the X800 XL isn't actually is mass-production yet, but considering the reviews, which is better? I am thinking about PCI Express for my new PC and these are the top two contenders on my mind.

Which would you prefer and buy?

Well there aren't any benchmarks out there right now. Basically it depends if you're a Nvidia or ATI fan. The x800XL is relatively new, so I have yet to know its performance. The 6800 GT PCI Express is $425 OEM at monarchcomputer. The 6800 GT is a good card, I would defintely get that if you have a motherboard that can support SLI. But, overall i'll take the 6800 GT.

The 6800 GT PCI Express seems to be a great card, but many review sites have shown the X800 XL beating the 6800 GT in many benchmarks.
Can someone who has seen these sites, give me some input?
And if I were to go with the X800 XL, is it going to be a problem that it doesn't have Shader Model 3.0?

LOL, Shader Model 3.0. Thats not a problem. 6800GT on some of the newest games out there leads the pack, for example in Doom 3. The X800 gets 25fps and the 6800GT gets upwards of 60.

I like the X800XL if it actually comes out to be a lot cheaper than the 6800GT than the XL i think might be a better deal.

The release price of the XL is supposed to be 300 but since the demand is up and production is not full yet they are expensive, wait a bit. Who cares about Doom 3, HL2 is better and so is the engine, since ATI's recent models dont support PS3 game manufactorers know that and are not gonna penalize you all that much if at all for not having a 6800. They want everyone to play their game, they dont want Nvidia to win. The XL is supposed to be a full 100$ cheaper and yes with the benchmarks it is a much better deal.

I personally think that its stupid for ID and ATI not just ATI. They will sell less games since they pandered to Nvidia so badly, but Valve is doing great since their game supports both cards just fine albeit giving a small edge to ATI.

persianxballer said:
The 6800 GT PCI Express seems to be a great card, but many review sites have shown the X800 XL beating the 6800 GT in many benchmarks.
Can someone who has seen these sites, give me some input?
B]

Yes, "overall" the X800XL is the faster card, that's not in dispute, the only problem is price, IMO, the X800XL is worth maybe 30-$40 more, but that's about it.

All tech sites that reviewed the X800XL loved it, as it was slightly faster and supposed to be cheaper.
IMO it's a bad time to buy a high end card a few months before a major GPU release{the R520 from ATI}...I would wait a few months.

True, but at the same time you have to buy hardware sometime. Its always gonna get better, I bought my 754 after waiting a while on prices and whatnot, and It would be nice to have a 939 right now, but I would have had to wait a long time more for the boards and processors to be cheap enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom