"Found New Hardware"....that's NOT there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlewp

Baseband Member
Upon starting PC , I have to cancel "Found New Hardware" six times !! I checked Device Manager , and there is a main item depicted by a yellow question mark , named "Other Devices". Open this item, and there are 6 more yellow question marks.
Properties only say "Unknown" , and no drivers given as there are none installed for each listing.

This began after I did 2 updates from M'softs update site. One was for a Firewire fix if you've done SP2 install. The other was for Nvidia sound.

Sound seems to be working fine.
I Uninstall all six listed question marks, but they reappear after each reboot.
A registry fix perhaps?

Is anything not working properly that you have found so far? You might want to try everything. Also run an Everest report or a PC Wizard 2005 on yourself. That may give you some clue as to what is going on. Liz

I'm betting it is a feature on the sound that isn't working properly. I never do the driver updates from windows updates, if I want to update a driver, I've had better luck going to the manufacturers website. If your running XP, try rolling back the drivers that were updated to see if this helps. If your not running XP, you may see if you can remove the drivers via the "add/remove programs". Hope that helps.

well if you don't see anything wrong with the computer and you just see unknown and stuff, don't stress it, juss remove it or disable existing in hardware profile
that way you don't have to worry about new hardware found

Able to remove question marks in Device Mgr. , but as noted in first post, each reboot brings up 6 "Found New Hardware" dialogue boxes that you have to "Cancel". That's very annoying, and continues even after I ;
1)uninstalled both new updates (Firewire and Nvidia)
2) Reinstalled the Firewire , and used Realtek site for the sound
driver instead of M'softs update site, which called for Nvidia
instead of Realtek driver. ( I think there's a connection there
anyway....'tween Realteck and Nvidia??)

(hellooooo......anyone there?? Conversing with myself here)

Ok, I un/re-installed a latest Windows updates, but what I think finally stopped the "found new hardware" repetition at startup, was doing a driver roll-back on my display device.
The six "ATI WDM ....." listings re-appeared in Device Mgr/ "sound,video, and game......" . I also uninstalled "secondary" listing under "Display devices", as I was curious why I needed that with only one monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom