Computer isn't detecting PCI cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, I can see it says "Multimedia Device" and the other says something but I can't really remember exactly.

Obviously the BIOS IS detecting the cards. I'm pretty sure the PCIs are active.

There is a bug in the bios upgrade for the motherboard, last time I did it, it caused my system not to boot and I had to go back to the previous version. This is a bug and yes I have e-mailed them about it. Reason why I flashed to the newest version is because it says my processor type is "Unknow CPU Type".

Yea, Epox sucks.

Yes, make sure that each PCI device has been assigned its own individual IRQ.

I also still recommend that you download and update your motherboard drivers, as well as the lastest drivers for said devices which are not working properly.

You can also disable all of the malfuctioning hardware in the device manager, and then re-enable it to see if Windows is willing to detect and search for appropriate drivers.

The best approach would be to disable the PCI devices, including the slots themselves, and rebooting Windows. If they are indeed working correctly Windows should automatically enable and configure them upon the restart.

gaara said:
Yes, make sure that each PCI device has been assigned its own individual IRQ.

I also still recommend that you download and update your motherboard drivers, as well as the lastest drivers for said devices which are not working properly.

You can also disable all of the malfuctioning hardware in the device manager, and then re-enable it to see if Windows is willing to detect and search for appropriate drivers.

The best approach would be to disable the PCI devices, including the slots themselves, and rebooting Windows. If they are indeed working correctly Windows should automatically enable and configure them upon the restart.

I will check to make sure all the IRQs are set, etc.

I have downloaded the latest updates and motherboard drivers. I can't install the Soundblaster Live! drivers because it says the hardware is not found.

I can't disable the malfuctioning hardware because it's not showing up (except "Multimedia device")

uhhh ok, if it says Multimedia device, then Pnp worked, and this is a different problem, does it list the networking card in the device manager too? If the PnP wasn't working you wouldn't see that in device manager at all, the reason it didn't install was because it didn't find a driver.

BTW let winxp control the irq's don't manually control them.

Now go into the device manager click propertys on the 'Multimedia Audio Controller'. On one of tabs(think its 2nd) it will say "update driver" or "install driver". Click on specific location, browse your way into the location of the sound blaster drivers, and then install. They might have stuffed the drivers in a sub directory, which you will have to find.

Same thing goes for the other cards

This might be a longshot, but change the order of the cards in the PCI slots. If for some odd reason, one is screwing up the bus for the other cards, they may not easily detect.

You should also try just one card at a time, isolate cards and pci slots for problems that way

You did say that was an older PC, I am not sure of all the cards are on the same bus or working interdependantly.

switch said:
This might be a longshot, but change the order of the cards in the PCI slots. If for some odd reason, one is screwing up the bus for the other cards, they may not easily detect.

You should also try just one card at a time, isolate cards and pci slots for problems that way

You did say that was an older PC, I am not sure of all the cards are on the same bus or working interdependantly.

I did change the PCI slots up. That's how I got my soundcard to work, however, it seems like it's refusing to install any drivers (Soundblaster says they are already installed, but yet I get no sound.)

I removed the cards 1 by 1 and still same problem.

Sui said:
uhhh ok, if it says Multimedia device, then Pnp worked, and this is a different problem, does it list the networking card in the device manager too? If the PnP wasn't working you wouldn't see that in device manager at all, the reason it didn't install was because it didn't find a driver.

BTW let winxp control the irq's don't manually control them.

Now go into the device manager click propertys on the 'Multimedia Audio Controller'. On one of tabs(think its 2nd) it will say "update driver" or "install driver". Click on specific location, browse your way into the location of the sound blaster drivers, and then install. They might have stuffed the drivers in a sub directory, which you will have to find.

Same thing goes for the other cards

I took out the networking card, since I use USB for that computer to connect to the internet.

I will try to manually install the drivers, though.

I'll restore the bios to the default settings, move the TV card to another slot, and see what happens.

I'll post again.

First, excuse me if I don't make sense. I am half asleep.

OK- I moved the PCI cards to another slot, and now they work. yay.

However, I am having issues with soundblaster alive so I am downloading the full cd I found from some site, hopefully that'll let me find the INF files for the CD.

Now. My TV Tuner is picking up no channels, even though the cable is (or should be) good. It's all static--this happened before I formatted (I had to format the computer because it was crashing all the time, after I formatted I realized the CD-Rom drive stopped working so i had a better motherboard sitting around so I flopped it in :))

Now I need to find the soundblaster to the TV Tuner audio cable because I lost it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom