S-ATA problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuskatappaja

In Runtime
Argh!
Win XP takes 5 minutes to load!

I've added second S-ATA controller (first one was integrated in my mobo)

It takes about 2 secs when BIOS have check that everything is okay.
Few seconds when the S-ATA controllers have found the drives.

Then screen turns black and it seems it is jammed, but it is not.
About 5 minutes and Windows XP loading sequence begins (that white bar in bottom of the black screen)

What is wrong? Or is this the price you have to pay for additional S-ATA controllers? (I once had PATA-100 controller and it didn't slow XP loading)

Everything works great but this is annoying!

:amazed: How many drives you have? I doubt theres many people with a sata controler card yet, sata is still too new. I hate to say it, but probably tech support is your only option.

Well theres a plan :) Might want to search the manufacurers website, might be a known issue or something.

I have a SATA drive, but it didn't at all slow down anything in XP and it's not a 10K rpm drive or anything it's 7200RPM just SATA opposed to IDE.

Are your onboard SATA ports filled and you're using one of those that you have to plug into the PCI slot and plug your SATA cable into that? Because if that's the case then they've been known to be sluggish for data transfer.

Posting your system specifications would help. :p

Defragment your hard drives and scan for all viruses, spyware and adware. Disable as much as possible via msconfig and check your processes in the task manager, take screenshot, and if it's not too much trouble, post the screenshot here.

The problem is probably locating the boot sector though. Basically, upon boot up your system will scan all devices in a specific order (managed through the BIOS), and will boot from the first one it finds. The more drives and boot devices your system has to wad through, the longer it will take to locate the boot sector.

I'm not exactly sure how you would correct this problem, you could try eliminating as many boot devices as possible that you don't need, but the only other thing I can think of is simply keeping your drives as clean and organized as possible so that your system can locate the boot sector faster.

I have Asrock K7VT6 mobo
http://www.asrock.com/product/product_k7vt6.htm

And
this kind of SATA card
http://www.falgo.net/pd1415770373.htm?defaultVariants={EOL}&categoryId=4

Yes, thats all very cheap stuff ;)

I have 2 drives in SATA card and 2 drives in mobo, so all the SATA:s are full.

Good you mentioned the boot sectors, all my drives are in 1 partition and all of them are bootable. This is because if something happens to my boot drive, I can install OS to any of them without losing data on them by formatting.
Maybe I should try disabling other boot devices in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom