large hard drive spaces / gaps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fitji got the right answer but i think u can not make host clear so let me try this out data from disk is retrived in very slow speed as compare to processor so we have to make this difference to make our I/O operation ( It is nothing but retriving data( Input/Output) ) faster so when you have data stored in a serial manner as shown in progress bar then it is not the convinent way to retirve from disk as fitij explains the working of the disk so it is better not to move head for long distancs and defragmenter done this it keeps data in such a way that header dosen't move longer nothing more than this .

I used default defragmenter of windows and i am satsified with it .

Thank you all!!! :D

KILLIAN: How do i use the switch/f with dos? Also, I already have and have been using both Perfectdisk 7.0 and Diskeeper. They havent changed the "gaps". I read somewhere if you have 1gb of ram, which i do, then i dont need a page file. True or false? I recently deleted it but still have Boot, Mft, Mft Zone, Excluded and Metadata in middle area using Perfectdisk. I am also not showing any Boot Data anywhere which im sure it used to. Also, I delete unwanted files etc daily.
I dont know if im using Dynamic disks? I have Xp Home, system is one month old. How do i find out or change if necess? Thanks for your aewsome reply!

THE MAJOR: Decrease the cluster size? Please explain how/more or if beneficial to do so.

Don't worry about the blank spaces. Having them all together doesn't increase performance, and having the gaps isn't a problem. As long as the main clusters of data are defragmented, you're okay. What you want is logical sequential order, not physically sequential order. Your drives are going to put data where they are allowed. Any temperorary directories or virtual-memory allocations are going to push program files around. Your drives can skip blank sectors very quickly.

Only XP Pro supports dynamic disks.

You can change the cluster size of your partition using a third party program like Partition Magic. Its not recommended. Some programs may fail or you could loose all of your files.

Thanks Shoobie for the simplistic answer.

Thanks Major.

I am now satisfied.

Cheers All, I'm goin for beers with the boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom