CPU with Thermal Compound...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvin.C

Fully Optimized
Hello,

I recently questioned whether my AMD Athlon XP 3000+ at an avergae temperature of 58°C to 60°C was normal when idle...and after the expected feedbacks, I ordered and this morning just installed the following cooling solution replacements:

- Antec SmartCool 92mm Case Fan
- PC Cooler (PA9C-CUAL) Heatsink
- Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

I've successfully installed everything correctly and am constantly checking the CPU temperature. The average temperature now is around 48°C to 50°C at idle. I'd like to know, is this normal? I've applied just a thin layer of thermal compound on the CPU die as instructed, and also left a haze on the base of the heatsink, to fill the microscopic valleys. I understand it takes several on and off cycles of my PC for the Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound to become most effective, so should I wait a while?

could you please give specs on ur rig and links to the heatsink specs? i think its cuz u dont have enough case fans to work w/ the heatsink

that cpu idle temp is a bit too high. the arctic silver 5 setting only gives you another 2c-3c lower temp. Run your computer with the side panel off and post the idle temp. you might have to improve the air flow in your case.

Re:

My airflow!? I've used round IDE and Floppy cables and made sure every hanging wire is tucked away in all corners. Anyways...I'll crack it open and report back :D ...

I'm reading an average CPU temperature of 50°C, with the case off...

Umm...do you think the compound needs time to become effective? I understand, there should be about one whole week of power on and power off cycles, in order for the compound to melt and solidify, and set into the microscopoic valleys of the die and heatsink...:rolleyes: :confused: I think it's sumthing called 'Burning-In'...

as i said in my last post, the burning in process only gives you a 2c-3c degrees lower temps on average. looks like you are gunna have to make dew with what you have. you can try to clean the heatsink and start from scratch and apply a new layer of AS5. maybe it will help.

With a new heatsink/cpu fan you should have considerablly lower temps. It can have alot to do with your case. What kind of case do you have? Along with cooling.

Re:

Hello,

Cooling specs above...system specs here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?dlc=en&tool=product&lc=en&cc=uk&dest_page=product&product=371891

It's a Compaq Presario S5500UK. Even with my case exposed, BIOS and MBM5 shows an average of 50°C during idle. My case temperature is 37°C.

Should I be worried that when I touch my heatsink, it feels cold? I have a very large heatsink and cooler: http://www.pccooler.cn/english-www/product/product_9c_38.html and i'm surprised that I feel no heat conduction.

Perhaps it's not properly seated on the die (problem is can't see cuz it's titanic!)...or I may be using too much thermal compound. I think I'll do as suggested, clean and relayer a thin film of thermal compound. I'll do it with the motherboard out of the PC as well so I can look around a 360 angle.

"Should I be worried that when I touch my heatsink, it feels cold?"
sounds like it's not seated right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom