Radeon x850 XT vs 6800 Ultra

How long do you think it will be, before DDR2 becomes mainstream?

• In 3 Months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In 6 Months

• 1 Year

• 3 Years

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I am somewhat of an ATI fan but will buy whatever is best. But I hope they both do well, its best for us the consumers, Id rather have a hard time deciding between two good cards than an obvious choice of one crappy one and a decent one. Its best that way, competition is good.

X850 is better but you can't really compare it. NVidia was shipping them out rarely in June. The X850 just came out a month and a half ago. It also cost $200 to $300 more. (WHY DON'T YOU JUST OVERCLOCK THE NVIDIA AND SAVE $$)

turtile said:
X850 is better but you can't really compare it. NVidia was shipping them out rarely in June. The X850 just came out a month and a half ago. It also cost $200 to $300 more. (WHY DON'T YOU JUST OVERCLOCK THE NVIDIA AND SAVE $$)

Overclock an ULTRA....are you nuts?:eek:

Who cares about the ship date, we are talkin' about what the best card is, without looking at the 512mb Wildcat of course!

btw -

where do I read about this r520?

Well nubius is right. Nvidia shipped the 6xxx cards and then just sat back and watched ATI catch up and it took ATI this long to finally make a card better but only because it has 24pipes. while ATI was tryin so hard to beat the 6800GT and ULTRA NVIDIA just randonly puts out a mid-range card at christmas boosting sales! But ATI is still trying to catch up and prices for the X800 XT PE are still on the top of my panties:eek: (did i let that slip?!?!) But now finally ATI has got some edge w/ the 520 core but i think Nvidia is still just sittin back and chillin, waitin to PWN the 520 w/ a new card. But hey i could be wrong:) cause look at the FX series! Nvidia thought they had Bart by the throat but nope they didnt. ATI pwned so you never know w/ the two companies. Just wait and see and when the first results come out then we will all know in time. Till then happy shopping!!:p

P.P. Mguire said:
Well nubius is right. Nvidia shipped the 6xxx cards and then just sat back and watched ATI catch up and it took ATI this long to finally make a card better but only because it has 24pipes.

Huh, the X800XT is faster than BOTH the 6800GT/ULTRA, except in D3...the X800XT has been available in Austalia for yonks, in fact I can get every ATI card except the X800XL.

I personally dont really care about doom 3. HL2 is much better, there will be games using the D3 engine, but we'll see if they're worth playing.

FoxyLoxy said:
I personally dont really care about doom 3. HL2 is much better, there will be games using the D3 engine, but we'll see if they're worth playing.

Yeah, it seems like all the gaming community cares about is technological supremacy of their engines and forgetting that game play is what will sell add on packs....I mean I wonder how many will buy the D3 add on{unless it receives rave reviews}.

What about the X800XT, I can get them for $750aud, yet ULTRA's are $900+.....and I'd hate to see the cooling set up on a 6850ULtra
That may be in australia but in the US you can find them for the same prices on most reputable sites.

And regarding the X800XT beating out the Ultra, well I've seen plenty of reviews that basically shows them neck and neck, not one beating out the other.

The fact remains, like I said Nvidia was the first to put out what has easily been considered the biggest leap in graphics processing for quite some time and ATI followed behind them, and are just now coming up with cards to compete.

ATI's attempt at a budget card was just pure crap.

As I said, Nvidia makes 6 good cards while ATI has driver issues on their first release and not only that have made a total of 13 some odd cards to compete which is simply ridiculous.

For all we know Nvidia could be waiting a couple months after ATI's R520 and introducing a 48pipeline card with 1gb of Vram (thats an exaggeration I know, dont take it literally)

All in all it's simply a matter of opinion also.

ATI hasn't upped the ante like you seem to think, they simply keep throwing out more cards making the one you bought a few months ago obsolete while people who buy a 6800GT have not only saved $200 instead of buying the Ultra but are getting the same speeds or beyond those of an Ultra (specifically eVGA brand of course)

Also you say "Cant imagine the cooling on the 6850" whys that...like ATI has some supreme method of cooling? As far as heat goes both cards are around the same.

There's no point in continueing as you'll simply say 'But ati this...but ati that' and I'll retort with 'Well nvidia this, and nvidia that' and it's never ending.

I dreaded opening this thread when I first saw the title muchless a poll option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom