stuck on....

Status
Not open for further replies.

01altima_se

Solid State Member
i know i already posted about my new heatsink and fan but today i actually tried to install it. theres one problem...i cant get the stock heatsink off...any ideas on how to get it off?

Re:

Hello...

There usually is a hook off one of the ends of the metal clip (which bridges across the centre of the heatsink), which requires you to unhook it using a flathead screwdriver. In this case, you'd use the flathead scrwedriver to push down and slightly outwards on the hook of the clip, to dislodge it from the socket notch/lug.

theres actually a cage that goes around the whole heatsink/fan assembly and i got that off...the problem is i think that the thermal pad that was on the heatsink is sticking onto the CPU...

Re:

ok,

Is the heatsink and CPU now successfully detatched? If so, the gooey sticky thermal pad mess on both the heatsink and CPU need to be cleaned using q-tips (or in the UK- cotton buds) and special cleaning fluids like isopropyl alcohol or some type of safe Thermal Interface Material cleaner (such as the oil free Akasa TIM Clean). Lumps of thermal material should be removed using a sharp edged tool (with safety).

The thermal interface material is supposed to fill the valleys in both the microscopic surfaces of the heatsink and CPU die. It heats up and becomes gooey with heat and solidifies when cool.

The CPU should be cleaned each time you replace the heatsink (as i've learnt :rolleyes: ). Remember to replace the thermal interface material when you do remove the heatsink- never add thermal paste / pads ontop of old thermal interface.

nope just the cage around the heatsink is off, the CPU and heatsink are very much still stuck together

Re:

....??? :confused: are there any retention clips or screws physically attatching both to each other? Or is it like....glued??

if u have a heat gun or hair dryer u can use to heat up the heatsink a little, that may do it. twisting the hsf slightly will prolly loosten it better then just pulling on it.

dont heat it up by turning your pc on, cause once you remove the hsf, the cpu, even when its off, still needs the hsf to disapate the heat.

i've heard of the thermal pad on the stock heatsinks getting stuck on the cpu. since the thermal pad melts when it is hot, the pad gets all into the microscopic valleys and rifts on the heatsink and when it dries it stays in those microscopic valleys and rifts.

i have heard of people messing up pins on their cpu because they pulled to hard on their heatsinks to seperate the two. maybe someone with more experiance in this matter will post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom