small office network, windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry K

Fully Optimized
hello,

What is the best way to setup a small business network? Cheapest?

Here are my needs:
- 5 PCs
- All running XP and MS Office
- share the same printer
(that is about it for the requirements... not to complicated)

Is there a way to use a server and 5 terminals?
Or is it cheaper, better to buy 5 PCs with Office and XP on them?

Then just have a wireless network to connect them.

You can not run Office on a server can you?

Probably won't be cheaper to buy the 5 PCs with Office and XP, but it would be more efficient in the long run.

Running a server with terminals (even with only 5 PCs) can be strenuous on the network if they were all being used and pulling data at the same time.

My opinion: With only 5 PCs, make a P2P network, wireless or wired, install the print device on one machine and share the printer out, you can map the printer on the other machines.

networking and operating systems

of all my skills, networking is my weakest area.

although my home/work network is wireless (a linksys router) with a few PCs... when it breaks or stops working...

I fix it by random, clicking - editing - modifying stuff until it works.

I know a lot about the web, internet, programming, databases, etc.

I'm saying all this to help set up this next question:

What usefullness is a server to a small business network?
Why would a small company need one?
What all can it do?

I know that if the company needs a DB server you need it to house the database.
I know if it plans to host its own website, it needs a web server.
I know if it plans to run some type of application server, you need a server to run it on.
And obviously a print server.

NOW, besides those things... what good is a server to a small company. How does the operating system effect the usefullness of the server? [I'm only a windows guy, hate microsoft, but don't want to learn anything else :) ]

Office productivity suites are generally not used on a server, right? Maybe you can use it as a backup or disaster recovery server, but you can do that on a regular PC also, right?

What other software would need to be run on a server, that you can not run on a regular PC?

thanks

well the main reason for a server is to take some of the workload off of the workstations, using SCSI drives will help speed things up a little bit for you, if your small business ever grows, haveign a server will help you in the long run, because their are alot of programs that can only be run on SERVER software, along with hardware too.

I dont know exactly what answer you are looking for, but if you have anything specific, dont hesitate to ask...

c ya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom