2gigs single, or 1gig double channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jseber1982

Enterprise SCCM\SCOM
I just read that on the k8neo2 board, if you use all 4 dimms, it will only let you run in single channel mode. Should i use all 4 dimms and have 2gigs. or use 2 dimms and have 1gig? I am a gamer. Not sure if todays games really even utilize the duel channel bandwidth yet.

thanks

Use two memory slots and go dual channel, one gigabyte of memory is all that you will need.

It depends on what you on your primary use of the computer. If it's everquest and the like, I agree with Gaara. Your task manager will tell the percentage of memory you actually use.

No one really needs 2gb these days. Some people swear they do, but the truth is hardly anything uses all of it unless you've got SoftImage, Maya, 3d studio max all rendering at the same time or something. 1gb would suit you fine, save your money

thanks guys. i am gettint he k8 neo2 board, and i read that if you use all 4 dimms, it will put it in single channel mode, and if you only use 2, it will work in duel. not sure if its true, motherboard arrives tomorrow, just wasnt sure how much memory to order. I had a crapload of 512 memory layin around, just realized its only pc2700 so gotta order more. i guess 2x512 will be fine. now what is a good brand to get? iv heard that kingston, corsair and mushkin are good. And memory timings, i actually never really messed with them lol, i just oced the fsb multiplier and voltage. So basically, when buying ram,, the lower the numbers the better right? like 2-2-2-2 is better than 3-3-3-3. and i was also wondering what the 1T meant after some of them lol. sorry for all the questions.

if you got all 4 slot full it automatically goes to dual channel mode. this way the ram don't have to match.

the other way to get dual channel is to put the exact same kind of ram in the 1 and 3 slot

that said, 2 gigs in single channel mode will always kill 1 gig in dual channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom