Dual monitor setup with laptop computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

og5

Baseband Member
Hi guys, I need a bigger viewing area becuase my little 15" laptop screen isn't cutting it so I want to get a cheap CRT. This refurbed 21" sony looks nice and for a good price:

http://www.accurateit.com/details.asp?iid=323

Now I need to know if I can use it with my computer. My display properties show this:

Displayview.jpg

Since there are 2 monitor settings (the 1st one controlling the laptop screen) I assume my video card can handle 2 monitors, is this right or do I need to check something else? Also will the 2 monitors be able to run simutaniously?

Now the other problem that I'm not so sure about. When I had a desktop the monitor plug was big, I don't remember exactly what size it was but I don't think I have the same connector on my laptop. My only open connectors are 2 USBs, a PS2 and 15 pin. Will I be able to connect the monitor to my laptop?

Thanks

You'd have to find out specifically what kind of pin the monitor is. If it's a normal VGA adapter then yeah it'll work.

Also yes they will work simultaneously if you wanted, you can either have the bigger monitor display whats on the laptop or you could have one screen be the desktop and the second screen be your extended desktop.

Also you could plug a mouse and keyboard into the laptop and simply use the laptop with the lid closed as the computer and just use that monitor. Lots of options.

og5 said:
Also will the 2 monitors be able to run simutaniously?
I don't remember exactly what size it was but I don't think I have the same connector on my laptop. My only open connectors are 2 USBs, a PS2 and 15 pin. Will I be able to connect the monitor to my laptop?

Thanks

yes.

the 15pin (female) connector is your VGA connector, which pretty much can be used w/ ANY standard CRT monitor.

so you won't have a problem plugging your CRT to your laptop.

look on your keyboard.

usually on the lower left there should be your "Fn" button.

and up top on one of your "F" buttons, there should be an icon of a monitor or something that resembles one...when you connect a CRT to your laptop (when it's shut off!) you sometimes have to hold the "Fn" button and also press an F button to get the signal to your CRT from your laptop.

it sounds confusing, but it's quite easy.

also, you can see on your screenshot of your Display Properties, check the box that says, "Extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" when you want to use both monitors simultaneously

you should be good to go.

good luck.

EdoKoi

Thanks for all the help guys, i'm going to get my new (used) 21" today.

So that's what the Fn button was for! right there between ctrl alt and the letters are all grayed out like some kind of mystery button :) I see the monitor icons on the F buttons, actually there are 2 possibilities. F5 and F9 both have what looks like a monitor icon so it will be interesting to see which one is the real deal

og5 said:

So that's what the Fn button was for! right there between ctrl alt and the letters are all grayed out like some kind of mystery button :) I see the monitor icons on the F buttons, actually there are 2 possibilities. F5 and F9 both have what looks like a monitor icon so it will be interesting to see which one is the real deal

yeah, the Fn key is useful mainly on laptops, for all those extra controls as well, like your volume adjustments...so any other keys you see that's the same color as your Fn key, then you need to press and hold that Fn button when you click the other buttons.

mine is the F5 button for a 2nd monitor...

it's pretty cool, cause you can have just one monitor at a time or use both when you need to...

just make sure in your Display Properties, you adjust each monitor according to their best resolution...

like a 15" will be different than the 21".

oh, btw, nice price for a used 21" Sony (Dell) monitor!

hope it works out for ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom