Ram help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazyroc

Beta member
First of all "Hi" to every one this is my first post so I wanted to make a point to greet every one.

Well I'll keep it pretty easy for you "Pros". Im a nub for the most part so I take it that I will only need one person to respond to help me.

I just got a ASUS A7V880 MoBo, and I see that it takes dual channle DDR, but do you have to run dual channle DDR, or can you run just any Pc21, 27, or 3200 as long as it is DDR?
Is the dual channle ram a must or option?

Any help will be great.
Thanks.
Dave.

Consult your manual. If you have dual channel, you should use it. Dual channel only works with identical sticks in the proper configuration

Dual channel is only obtained by having a mobo and CPU that supports it. Since your board supports it, it is when you have two sticks of same make and speed in that alotted slots specified for dual channel. It accesses both RAM sticks at once instead of using one then the other upon the first one being full.

You'd have to look in your manual to see what slots give you dual channel, but generally it's 1 & 3 or 2 & 3 assuming you only have 3 slots.

So it's not telling you you have to look for RAM that says "DUAL CHANNEL" because RAM in itself isn't dual channel, when you see a pack that says that, it means it's been tested and guaranteed to run in dual channel.

You don't have to worry about the term 'dual channel' meaning a specific RAM or anything. If your board supports up to PC3200 then you can put in PC2100, PC2700, PC3200, it's only if you have two of them exacty same speed and specs that dual channel will be enabled

Also, if you are using dual channel, you can buy "dual channel kits" which have identical high quality sticks of ram that is guarenteed to work well in dual channel. 2 assorted sticks of generic will work with dual channel but if your overclocking stability is bot guarenteed.

those dual channel packs are a rip off though... they way overcharge because the claim to have tested the sticks together. I just bought 2x 512 pc3200 sticks 2 (both the same brand), but not a specific pack and they work perfectly in dual channel... i even know people who are running two different brands in dual channel (but that is risky).

Personally I think it is better to run in dual channel, my system seems to like it a lot more than it did running in single and there is a definate performance advantage (on aquamark my cpu score was 7557 in single channel and 8936 in dual channel)

Dual channel though is optional, it all depends on which slots you place your ram in, and of course if you have an uneven amount of sticks (1 or 3) you cannot run in dual channel!

It's not just the fact that they've been tested together for the overcharge in price. It's the quality of sticks, PCB, and IC's used, amount of testing gone into them, and the quality is absolutely ensured not too mention generally a fair amount of overclockability. So on top of all that they simply are letting you know they are guaranteed to work in DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom