are floppy drives essential

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard you can speed up your pc by disconnecting the floppy drive because it frees up IRQ's. With SATA drives, you could install the SATA drive, then take out the floppy drive and pack it away if it annoys you.

thats what i do is just take it out. if you dont even want to have to open your pc when usinga flopply drive, you can even get a usb one now for about 10$ which is only a few bucks more. and it does speed up your boot time slightly like maybe a second sometimes. not really enough to get exited over thoug;)

lol yeah can't say I've noticed too much of a slow down simply from having the floppy connected. Perhaps on older slower systems, but with todays PC's it's not much of an effect IMO

Not only SATA programs but some benchmarching programs also use floppies. I know when we do a burn in test, we have to have a cd AND a floppy installed to run it. Liz

I am guessing some of the new Motherboards come with the drivers installed as I didn't have to use a floppy when I installed my SATA.

my mobo (A8V deluxe) can flash the bios with a version of the bios on a floppy if a press alt + F2 b4 bootup.

My floppy drive came in handy when I flashed my bios also, its impossible to flash a bios without one. I also use it when I want to bring a powerpoint or word document to school. I got mine off ebay for 2 bucks.

you can flash a bios through windows with the tools your motherboard company gives you on the cd you usually get. I have an asus motherboard and it comes with a tool called " Asus Update" which lets you flash the bios through windows.

Wayne

I am guessing some of the new Motherboards come with the drivers installed as I didn't have to use a floppy when I installed my SATA
Your motherboard doesnt come pre-installed with drivers.

If you installed a SATA in which you had to install the OS on then you had to have installed the SATA drivers somewhere along the line unless your OS CD already had the SATA drivers installed into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom