choosing a laptop..

Status
Not open for further replies.
budget

Hey, thanks for the feedback. This is supposed to be a present for me and the budget for it is this side of two grand or close to. I'm gonna check on the ones newcents mentioned also. I was just looking around to see what I liked and thought would be useful. Right now I'm stuck on the two that you all have been fighting about... but anyways , thank you.

Derrick

dude why should an os be hard to navigate and crap? mac os x is so easy thats why its GOOD, also no spyware no viruses

heres an example of why mac osx is great and simple
in windows if you want to copy a picture you have to right click save as but in mac osx you drag the picture to the desktop. easy huh

stuff like taht is great

and dotn say mac is evil and crap because microsoft is a MONOPOLY, they stole their os from apple, Bill Gates isnt a genius hes just a thief

no viruses because apple is soo horrible no one wants to spend time making viruses for them
if you just get norton windows is 10000 times better
clicking and dragging is like the same as right clicking its less movement too to use a menu then to click and drag where u want it to be and clicking a dragging creates shortcuts such as if u put a cd in click and drag the files to ur desktop
whats the point in that??? you need the cd still
os x is easy to navigate because its for the computerly challenged
they made it for all the dumb people that only want to browse the web and use a word document

Echo_ said:

and dotn say mac is evil and crap because microsoft is a MONOPOLY, they stole their os from apple, Bill Gates isnt a genius hes just a thief

yeah and apple stole it from xerox... so dont start that argument!

also yes... microsoft are a monopoly but at least you can buy your own hardware to run windows on and hence PCs are far more reasonably priced!

We shouldnt start a flame-war, as always there are plusses and minuses for both sides. No macdude Apples are not just uberbest computers blah blblahoblah. They are good, but I also think its in their simplicity and stability, My friends G5 is very stable and a very nice machine, however spec for spec mine beat it in almost everything, and I paid probably less than half as much to build it. When you buy an Apple you are paying a LOT for the name, some say its worth it, possibly. If you want an Apple, then you gotta pay. They do have many things going for them, however PCs are getting better, cheaper, and the gap on supposed Apple advantages is closing fast (vid editing, graphics work and such). I personally think Apple is a lot like the Shuffle in my sig. They are trendy and cute. Dont get me wrong I think they look nice, but I personally wouldnt like to look like a regular at the fabbest new coffeeshop, uptown on conformity street. (no offense, but thats the image I get).

It depends on a lot of things what you should get. Obviously what are you doing with it? Do you need weight and portability over value? Do you need possible stabilty and support over price? Will you be working with any specific programs?

The Acer Ferrari is freckin sweet, has good specs, and is in your range. I would check them out.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mobile/display/acer-ferrari.html
Ohhh man are they gorgeous. See THAT to me is freckin tight. A Ferrari laptop!!!! That would get looks wherever you went, but its different and I think being or looking original is attractive (if you care) as well.

FoxyLoxy said:
We shouldnt start a flame-war, as always there are plusses and minuses for both sides. No macdude Apples are not just uberbest computers blah blblahoblah.

Never did I explicitly say they were. They are very reliable, but, yes, they are very expensive. The only reason I have one is because my brother-in-law took it off someone else's hands for several processors.

FoxyLoxy said:
They are good, but I also think its in their simplicity and stability, My friends G5 is very stable and a very nice machine, however spec for spec mine beat it in almost everything, and I paid probably less than half as much to build it.

Yes, spec for spec the computer I built six months ago beats this G4 spec for spec in most aspects, but having two processors does make it run a bit faster. The computer I built wasn't cheaper than getting this Mac, per se (because it was a gift), and, to tell the truth, I had no intentions of changing to a Mac. My old PC ran RH 9 just fine, but I couldn't refuse a free Mac; could you?

Fair enough, I was going to go back and check what or who said what but I forgot to, my bad.

No I could not refuse a free comp, and it would definitely affect what computer I preferred. But just like Chevy vs Ford there is something to be said about people preferring what they are used to. Theres brand loyalty out there, and im likely as guilty of it as any other. (not that this is a Chevy vs Ford type of argument, just a component of both arguments being similar I feel).

The processors is where I decided that mine was not comparable to two (I believe) 2ghz 64 bit processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom