new computer, transfer files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eversio11

Solid State Member
Hey there. I just bought a new computer and I was wondering how I could transfer most of the contents of my current harddrive to the new one.

I have about 20gb worth of music, videos, and other files that I want to put into my new computer, but I'm not too sure on the easiest method. I just bought a new 80gb harddrive, so can I use that as sort of a bridge between the two computers? Put it in my current one, transfer the files to it, then put it in my new one permanently?

All help and suggestions would be appreciated, TIA

network them? or use an ipod? i dunno that'd be my guess if you dont have a dvd burner

i used a memory stick...but took forever as it was only a 256mb stick.

whast the best wast to connect two computers side by side? ethernet?

you can use an external hard drive. If you don't have one, the easies/best way to do it is to take your old hard drive, plug it in to your new computer (in the 2nd slot) and when you are in windows, just take it from the old one and drag them to the new one. It's really fast... ;)

I built an external 80gb HDD last week and already its been really useful for me and my friends. Already 2 of my friends want to borrow it so they can back up thier files and format and re-install. And yesterday i went over to a friends house and we copied over some movies i had on there. Well worth the money.

Wayne

if i want to transfer files from HD to another....can i put the two hard drives into one computer and just swap the files through windows? if i can which hard drive would be the primary IDE connection and would i have to disconenct the CD Drive?

SamBarry said:
if i want to transfer files from HD to another....can i put the two hard drives into one computer and just swap the files through windows? if i can which hard drive would be the primary IDE connection and would i have to disconenct the CD Drive?

Hello,

Yep. It doesn't matter where you place your drives on the IDE cable, whether it be primary or slave. As long as you specify the drive to boot up from in your BIOS, then your ok.

You won't be able to boot into the second added hard drive (the one which you want to copy files over to) as it won't have the right boot master records. So you'll need to boot into your normal primary drive of that computer. Once in windows, your PC shoud detect the drive, and it's all drag and drop from there :) . Oh, also don't forget to set the drives switches to primary, slave or cable select.

Leave everything how it is, and if you have a spare IDE connection then use that for the other drive, remembering to set the jumpers properly. If you don't have enough IDE connectors then just remove the CD drive temporarily.

i was juss like you 1 month ago
i bought an external enclosure, bought a hard drive
made it into an external hard drive, which cost less than just buying EXTERNAL HD lol (hope you get that)

and for that being, its the best investment for your money
much easier
i have total of 4 computers at home, and its very helpful
and you can carry that around to get movies or so from others

the enclosure should be around $30
you can get it for less, i believe

i only have 2 computers, but it dont really use it at home coz i have a 100mbit network. I mainly transfer big files from friends computers at lan partys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom