Enough power ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

koit

Solid State Member
Hello all, a question if I may.

I have been having problems powering up my system (it is an intermittent issue). Sometimes it will load correctly and others it will not recognise my slave hard drive........sometimes it will load but the power case fan will not work.

Now, I'm assuming (rightly or wrongly) that this is a power issue and perhaps I need to buy a new power supply unit.

I am running :

Windows 98SE on a 2.0ghz Int P4
512MB RAM
Belkin network router with appropriate lan card
1.5mb cable net access
Running a HP CDwriter 9100
Liteon DVD/CD rom drive
Creative sound blaster live (front and back sockets)
Floppy drive
1 40gb hard drive
1 30gb hard drive
Voodoo 5500 64mb graphics card
standard keyboard & mouse

ADT 300W Power supply
12v fan (evercool)

SO, DO I NEED A NEW POWER SUPPLY ? AND IF SO, WOULD ANYONE BE SO KIND AS TO RECOMMEND A NICE QUIET MODEL. Links to a site where I can review/purchase (for UK)

Thanks in advance.

I think the 4 drives might be pushing that psu a little to far. Anyway enermax noisetaker is a quiet psu, has a little knob on the back that lets you turn down the fans. With the way I have mine set right now I can't hear the fans more then 2 feet away, and thats in total silence. Don't live in uk though.

For the setup you have I would say that a 300w powersupply is adequate. However it could be faulty.

But as this is an intermittant problem, i would check all of the wiring in your computer first.

If it does turn out to be your powersupply, i would recommend you get an antec powersupply.

I would recommend this PSU for you: Antec TruePower Quiet 380W PSU with Twin Fans
from
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=5530&GroupID=9
or
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=35883

Muchos thankages

Thank you both

I am now off to buy that recommended PSU. Much obliged.

Keep well all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom