Harddrive Crash or Did someone reach out and touch me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j8h9

Beta member
Yesterday I was working on my PC when all of a sudden... black screen, the machine rebooted. When it came up... errors, lots of them. When I finally got control back... my entire PROGRAM FILES directory was deleted. It appeared that was the only directory effected. All my file-extension associations were invalid because no programs to execute... The Windows directory and some others appear to be fine.

Now, I ran checkdisk. When I did it found most of my directory structure (FAT?) has problems. Found hundreds of directories and files. Now I have thousands of 999.chk files and Dir9999 directories. Most important are pictures. I have to go through and rename a file with .jpg suffix, double click--if picture appears--I've got it--if not, rename back to .chk.

Anybody have any idea what this is? Is this some kind of harddrive crash, virus? My only course of action is to copy off as much as possible, reformat and reload software. I can't get my TDK CD-ROM burn software to load? Bummer... I'll have to keep working on that one.

yeah it sounds like some kind of hardware failure or the electricity. did you have anything strange happen to the electricty when that happened?.

if your hard disk might be failing, i would backup everything as fast as i could and follow microbell's suggestions. if you don't get this problem again i would assume it is just something going on with the electricity or you could have a failing power supply.

if the hard disk isn't making any strange noises and this problem keeps coming back test with another power supply first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom