CPU cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

static244

Solid State Member
I just built a new computer and the cpu fans are really loud. Can I replace them with quieter 40 mm fans or should I get entirely new heatsinks and fans?

I have dual Xeon 2.4 ghz.
Will like these work to cool them?
http://www.buyextras.com/su40malefan2.html

Will the magnets hurt the CPU, performance or any other parts?

Thanks

I got 5 Antec 80mm case fans in my box not counting the 2 in the PSU + a Coolermaster Aero 7 Cpu/Heatsink fan and it's not loud. How loud is loud anyway. Keep that sucker COOL!!!!:confused:

I must agree with kboy.....how loud is "loud"?
I also have a lot of case fans (6 for the case and 3 on the PS).
These along with the CPU fan, hard drive fans and chipset fan can make the system pretty darn loud.

When you put the parts together did you buy a Processor/Heatsink and fan together? Make sure that the fan that you have is recommended with the processor that you have.

Like kboy said.......your main concern is to keep it cool, you will get used to the sound after a while.

-Michael

for me i want the computer to make zero sound. i think as long as the temperatures inside the case and on the CPU die is normal the sound is irrelevant. personally i would rather have a quiet system than get a really loud & powerful fan which will only make a decrease of only 1 degree celsius in temperature.

i recommend 80mm speeze fans. they are cheap $2 each and are nearly silent. they only last about a year but for $2? for me it's no brainer. so for me its "speak softly and carry a big stick" because even if you have the fastest, most powerful computer available it doesn't have to sound like a jet taking off.

When I look at fan or the fan/heatsink combo, lI ook at the CFM or Cubic Feet per Minute. That is how much air can travel through per minute. a fan with a high cfm, say 60 cfm, is better than one with 30 cfm, even though the 30 cfm fan may have higher rpm. and since you are concerned with sound, look at the dBA, lower means quieter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom