PC in a mini fridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
well people were expressing the problem of moisture getting into the freezer and casuing condensation. When i was refering to a dehumidifier, i meant a device that gets rid of moisture in a pc case, someone could have just corrected me without chucking a tantrum like jolancer did. Im only 14, i dont know everything about everything. I am younger than a lot of users here so can people cut me a little slack.

sorry, i just didnt feel like i was getting my point threw that there is no moisture ina fridge(someone kept saying there would be, i was getting frustrated). even if u open the door, the moisture that gets in will prolly be removed in minutes.

ok, its good we've resolved our issues. I didnt know that the moisture in a fridge was insignificant.

Also, what happens with the mouse, keyboard, power cables etc? I have permission of my mother to use our "tucker box" freezer to do some tests but what about the cables?

unless the rubbery seal between the door and the box is thick enoght for u to cut away a chunk and just slip the cables threw there, with inulation around any remaining gap. other then that i think u would prolly have to drill a hole and pipe it threw, insulating all the gaps.

with a freezer though, u cannot be opening and closing it once the pc is in there up and running. cause unlike the fridge part, a freezer will instantly freeze moisture into ice crystalls(once closed, moisture will only come from outside, when u open door). the ice crystalls would eventually be removed, but ice takes a lot lot longer to evap, then just vapor.

for testing you would prolly be fine, but unless u have all your optical drives and stuff in a different pc, networked to the one in the freezer, so u can access them as u need. otherwise it wont be practial enough for u to actually use a freezer.

I saw this thermoelectric cooler that is made for like 4 cans of pop, I think housing the reservoir in there would be awesome. Just hope someone doesn't flip the switch to heat...- http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=sc_ri_1/601-4825883-3576151?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00008O37Z
I plan on getting water cooling since air just isn't sustaining my overclocking needs anymore. I am actually quite pissed off about that too. Actually nubius that wouldn't be to bad of an idea for you... $50 and substantially better cooling.

i had another look at it and the lid sits in a groove around the edge which would make it hard to fit cables in, and im not allowed to cut the seels or drill through it.

if there isnt a way for u to shut the door totally, then it wont work... u know those freezers at the grocery store that are like tub's and are left open all the time. thy end up with this couple inch thick(exadgerating a bit) layer of frost covering its walls.

jolancer said:
even if u open the door, the moisture that gets in will prolly be removed in minutes.

minutes? thats not fast enough at all. it only takes seconds for a droplet of water to fall on your mobo (or any exposed electronics really).

lazerman said:
I saw this thermoelectric cooler that is made for like 4 cans of pop, I think housing the reservoir in there would be awesome. Just hope someone doesn't flip the switch to heat...- http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=sc_ri_1/601-4825883-3576151?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00008O37Z
I plan on getting water cooling since air just isn't sustaining my overclocking needs anymore. I am actually quite pissed off about that too. Actually nubius that wouldn't be to bad of an idea for you... $50 and substantially better cooling.

uhm no not substantial, I've owned one. They take about 4-6 days before temps hit freezing, and thats if you never open the door, and keep the outside air under 70F. Takes 5-8 hours before you can even notice it getting colder. The coleman I had used a fan inside and out to circulate air across a plate with heatsinks on it aprox 6x3 inches in size. If left unattended the fins would ice over and plug off the air circulation, so it would stop cooling, the temp inside would rise even though that heatsink was packed in ice because of the lack of circulation.

Now if you were to cut the box off, use that plate to directly cool the water, and mount a few fans on the hotside, then you just might get the thing to lower 10F. I don't think its really worth that amount of effort though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom