cost efficient comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoein

Baseband Member
hello, once again ive come here for your expert opinions.

im buying a second computer, but before i go on, heres some facts:

a. i will not be using this computer for games, so i dont care about a graphics card

b. also, i will not be using this computer for over clocking, if i end up doing so, i will upgrade, so don't take it into consideration.

c. the 40gb hd is enough for now, i can always add on another.

d. in the very near future, ill be adding another 256 stick of ram, or a 512, depending, so im not worried too much

e. the use's for this computer are browsing the internet (firefox!!), music, downloading the occasional anime show and FTP.

f. i will be running cable internet (300kbps), so do you think it will run nice?

so, onwards:

for $345.00 canadian (INCLUDING tax) i can get this computer without a monitor:

amd sempron 2200+ processor (1.5 ghz)
256mb ddr ram
40gb hd
floppy, 52x cd-rw
64mb intergrated video
6 channel audio (?)
400 watt PSU

what im asking you, is do you think its a decent buy? i would make my own, but my parents arent fond of the idea of me purchasing parts over the internet ( they let me buy books+t shirts, why not comp. parts?!?!:( ).

thanks for any input,

tommy.

I dunno about a Sempron. I heard that Athlons are still better than them. That integrated video is annoying. I am thinking "noooo get a seperate card for the gfx" but then again, you said you don't care for the gfx. If that (?) is next to the audio because you don't know what that means, that means basically that it'll work with up to 6 speakers and what-not. You're prolly not allowed to buy parts like that over the internet cause the price. T-Shirts and books don't cost nearly as much as brand new computer parts.

hey, thanks regulas.

i was unsure what the 6 channel audio meant, because ive got a stereo with that, and i didnt know if it was the same thing. im gonna end up wearing headphones 50% of the time anyways, so no problem. i really dont care for graphix, i mean, i play the original roller coaster tycoon once a week at most. i watch some videos on the computer, but im not picky about graphics, and id rather save 150 bucks anyways.

my friend has had the same computer for 2 months, and hes had no trouble. it runs smooth, sometimes it has minimal lag due to files being downloaded with bittorrent at the same time as music playing in winamp, and 2 ie browsers open, normal problems, but still, nice running. ive been on it numerous times, and it works fast, very similar to the amd athlon 2400/512mb ram/2.4ghz computer im on right now.

im really considering it. im assuming that was a positive post regulas?

thanks, tommy.

phosho, would i be able to purchase the athlon, and install it on the same mobo? if not, how much would an athlon 2400 with mobo cost roughly?

Are you referring to that last part? Well, I can see why you or I wouldn't be allowed to order parts online. You know, if you spend like $400 on a gfx (6800) card and something goes wrong, then you gotta go through all the hassle of getting things straightened out. At least I know that my parents would get on me to no end if that were to happen. So, yea, positive post there. I wasn't trying to be mean or anything.

Oh yea...lol, it's Regulus, not Regulas.:D

thats the thing, i didnt really wanna spend any more money than what the comp costs itself. i think i could live with the sempron, eventually (in a couple years) im gonna want a whole new computer.

i dont know the mobo specs, but do you think i could put an athlon processor in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom