Windows XP Home installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonblower

Beta member
Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased Windows XP Home and have had some problems installing it.

Firstly, during the "Completing installation" phase I get a pop-up window entitled "COM+ Setup error" with a long message starting "Sub-component COM+ raised an exception while processing the OC_COMPLETE_INSTALLATION setup message..." and error code 0x80040206. I click OK (the only option) to dismiss this.

Secondly (perhaps more importantly), just as installation is about to complete (during the "Saving settings" phase) the machine crashes with a blue screen with a "STOP 0x0000008E" message and something about disabling cacheing and shadowing (whatever they are) in BIOS.

My hardware is a bit old but still should be capable enough:

AMD K6-2 450MHz processor
TI5VG+ motherboard
256 MB RAM (as 2x 128 MB DIMMs)
CD-RW
CD-ROM
40 GB Maxtor hard drive (new, 7200 rpm)
20 GB Quantum Fireball hard drive (old, 5400 rpm)
Voodoo 3 2000 AGP graphics
Sound Blaster Live Platinum 5.1 sound card plus Live Drive
Firewire PCI card
10/100 ethernet PCI card.

The same problems occurred consistently over three or four attempts at installation. Thinking that it was some sort of hardware issue, I stripped the PC down to bare essentials, removing everything but the processor, 128MB RAM, CD-RW, graphics, the 40GB hard drive and the ethernet card. XP then installed without a problem!

What I would like to know is, was the problem due to faulty RAM as the Microsoft knowledge base suggests? I have run DocMemory on all 256 MB of RAM and found no problems, so I'm not sure this was the issue. I wonder if the problem was due to power issues? As you can see from the list above, my humble machine (with a 230W power supply) was fully loaded with add-ons, and I wonder whether easing the load on the power supply did the trick.

Any ideas would be very gratefully received.

Thanks, Jon

sometimes it does not work with ecc memory. you will have to use non-ecc memory only and at least 128MB minimum. sometimes old cd-rom drives can not read the winxp cd properly so you can try using a newer cd-rom just to install winxp. and sometimes it plain doesn't work. this happens a lot more than you think with older machines, you get the same problem if you try to install win2000.

Hi,

My old AMD K6-2 500MHz processor was designed for Windows Nt/98 becasue it is enscripted on the processor it self so installing Windows XP on a AMD K6-2 450MHz processor wouldn't be a good idea.

There is a minimum spec for Windows XP. Didnt you check ?

OLY

Thanks for your replies guys,

To ekaesine - how can I check if I have ECC memory? The CD-ROM wasn't the problem because I installed successfully from it once I'd stripped the computer down; besides, it was a new component.

To oly - I did check the minimum specification and my machine falls well within it (I know Microsoft's minimum spec is likely to be a touch optimistic though). As I said in my post, it's now working fine, I just wanted to know if my original installation problems were due to a RAM problem or overloading my power supply. (BTW, what do you mean when you say that Windows 98/NT was "enscripted on the processor it self"? Do you just mean there was a sticker on the box?)

Jon

Thanks MicroBell, that's very helpful. I put both sticks of RAM back in the machine (after installation had finished) and all appears well. Do you know if there are any issues with *running* WinXP with more than one stick of RAM? I'm considering getting a third 128MB stick, as well as a new (quiet!) power supply.

Thanks again, Jon

oly said:
Hi,

My old AMD K6-2 500MHz processor was designed for Windows Nt/98 becasue it is enscripted on the processor it self so installing Windows XP on a AMD K6-2 450MHz processor wouldn't be a good idea.

There is a minimum spec for Windows XP. Didnt you check ?

OLY

If the processor is x86 then it will run XP. No if's ands or butts. His issue was a memory issue.

And I suggest getting another stick if you plan on running XP stable with a cpu that old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom