adding 1 more to current dual channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
I currently have 1 GB PC 3200 2 x 512 in dual channel), and want to increase a bit. I've noticed large files in Photoshop and other programs hogging close to all of my ram so it's time for more. If i were to add 1 more 512, would it actually slow things down by getting rid of dual channel? Am I better off spending more for 2 new 512's to keep in dual channel, even if the extra 512 won't really be needed? I don't really want 2 256's (for the record - tigerdirect has Ultra brand 512 MB for $40 AR, which is why I don't want to pay the same for 256) Hope that makes sense...

Yeah I think that adding one more 512 will stop the existing dual channel. It is best to go for 2 more 512's.

Yes the 512mb will stop your dual channel. You'll simply have more memory to use, but the memory bandwidth would still be the same. Use SiSoftware Sandra and it'll tell you your current bandwidth and without dual channel it'd be a little bit less. Not insanely lower or anything but a few mb/sec less indeed, but the programs will simply have more RAM to call from.

I don't think adding more RAM would help, even if you didn't stop your dual channel or got 2 more 512's . I only have Corsiar XMS DDR400 ram, 512MB and it flies. I use Photoshop intensly and also Maya and I never experienced any lag. I think you should switch your ram to the Low Latency series, like XMS for corsair ( i am not sure what kingston calls it :confused: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom