Celeron D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eipeks

In Runtime
Is this a good processor?
I've heard rumors that Celerons run hot, however I'm not really impressed with the specs for the Sempron.

Almost tempted to bite the bullet and get the P4 3.0E

This will be mostly an office computer, with occasional gaming.

Here's what I'm thinking, or the Celeron D.....

Intel P4 3.00E GHz 800FSB w/1MB Cache & HT
Intel D865GBFL, Audio, Video, Lan
SLK1600 Mid Tower w/300W
Kingston 512 DDR3200
Maxtor 80 GB 7200rmp fluid bearing
Samsung 17' Pure Flat.
16x16 DVD/DL

After all is said and done, with Win XP and peripherals...

price is about $ 1120.00 Canadian.

Im actually building this for my father. This is by no means a gaming system, of course.

The only thing Im having a real hard time with is the processor. Lots to choose from. It has to be stable, and not needing an upgrade for some time.

Thoughts?

thanks.

Since their are so many P4's out now, for all kinds of budgets. That celerons really have no need. Celerons are made to run slow, so under stress they wont produce lagg. But they do alright.

Personally, i dont think anyone should even consider a celeron. Just get a P4 for around 140$. Also, i dont suggest semprons, just get a XP. Overall, if your thinking celerons, get a low profile P4. If your thinking semprons, get a XP.

hmm..
problem is. can't seem to find any P4's up in the Great White North for under $200.

Im just curious what's better bang for the buck.

I'm very happy with my 2800XP. Had it for 15 months and it's the most stable system I've ever worked on. The 2800 barton is 179.00 up here. I was kinda hoping to keep it lower, but obviously im more concerned about stability and performance.

actually, i found a local dealer who sells a

P4 2.4AE Prescott

for 149.00

This a good CPU?

Yeah, that runs at 2.4ghz 800mhz fsb. That cpu is better then any celeron. Just make sure you get 2x 512mb of RAM sticks. Witch would equal 1GB of RAM togather. Again thats socket 478. The new Intels are LGA775, those are the ones that wont need upgrades for awhile. But they cost alot more.

I will tell you from experience that the Celeron D, the new generation Celeron processors, are very good compared to previous generations of value hardware. All the Sempron is is a rebadged Athlon XP with slightly crippled specs. The Celeron D is fine for office applications; for gaming, the processor isn't very important. The graphics card is what is relevant to gaming; so yes you can have a good gaming machine even with a Celeron D.

well, heh, for gaming the old man plays mostly solitaire so don't really need the fast graphics card.

Thanks for the input.

Get an AMD processor. AMD's don't look good to n00bs ( no offense ) but they kick @$$. ...and the price is good too. By the way, you could get an athlon 64 3400+ for like 150 bucks, and it has 1600FSB

P.S. Celeron's SUCK!!

pc_boy said:
Get an AMD processor. AMD's don't look good to n00bs ( no offense ) but they kick @$$. ...and the price is good too. By the way, you could get an athlon 64 3400+ for like 150 bucks, and it has 1600FSB

P.S. Celeron's SUCK!!

Athlon 64 3400+ go's for $300 or so here in canada,And about the celeron's the new one's don't suck like the older one's did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom