need serious help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragoonKongol

Baseband Member
Please Help I Got No Were Else To Ask

My grandma has a dell and when u get on it a blue screen pops up and say the computer has shut itself down. now i talked to dell and they told me to boot up in safe mode and go to run and type msconfig then go to startup and disable all then ok then restart and i have done it numerous times and it keeps happening when i shut it down. someone told me to format the computer and reinstall everything but when i try it says CANNOT LOCK. VOLUME IS ALREADY IN USE. please can someone tell me what to do.

Hello,

You could do two things...either attempt to pinpoint the specific issue, or very simply format (which would essentially eliminate all problems).

Ok. Firstly, have you tried formatting your drive (or a partition) while booted into it? It's best to format the hard drive outside windows, either using the Windows XP Recovery Console or a boot disk. However, if you wish to re-install Windows XP, and you have the Windows XP Installation CD, simply boot into at startup and select to install Windows XP. From there you can start fresh, and it will do a format for you.

You could also do a repair of Windows XP, however there are slight chances of there being no success. Repair simply re-installs system files, but does not touch personal files created within Windows XP (such as pictures and documents in My Documents). It might be best to do a repair first (which can be done through the Windows XP Installation CD) and if there is no success, try doing a fresh install of XP instead. Hope this helps ...

Well, Dell is stupid. When you do MSCONFIG, this stops programs from working in the background, once your computer starts up.

But, these programs will still work in the back ground, if the program is set to just turn itself back on. Thats why when you restart your computer, they are still on the start up list. You have to go to Add/Remove programs, and delete the software itself. If thats the problem. So MSCONFIG power is limited to the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom