Quick/Easy mod to reudce HDD noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
I have my server computer loaded with three old HDDs that emit this very annoying high pitched wine all the time. Is there a quick way, using only parts avaliable at a hadware/crappy hobby/Radio Shack store, to reduce this noise? Not eliminatew it completely, but just reduce it to a white noise hum? It is quite difficult to sleep with it on :)

lol not an option, as it's a server (or will be). I was thinking of getting vibration dampener for fans and putting them btween the screw head and the outside of the HDD cage. Might that work?

Since this thing sits idle most of the time, temps arent really a huge issue. It only has an AMD mobile duron! Hmm, I think I'll look around next time I'm at a hardware store. The maucoustic material doesn't have to be perfect, just cheap and somewaht effective. I actually like the white noise and deep hum of fans, but this wine drives me crazy.

Thats why I mentioned the carpet insulation, because _usually_ a server doesn't have to deal with a massive cpu load. I once had a loud server, I ended up jaming it in my closet to quiet down the noise.... it didn't vent too good though.

Yeah you might be able to get away with just using rubber washers. It might be enough, but remember to use 2 washers for every screw. Another thing thats a kind of cheap solution is to put a peice of cardboard(or whatever you have that absorbs sound decently) between where your head is when you sleep and the computer.

I think what I'll do is look for some non-flammable foam and stick it on the sides of the case.

I'd like to use the washers (simpler and cheaper) but how would I get the second washer in the drive cage between the metal and the drive itself? Anyway, even with washers I still think the old motors in these beasts would still wine, so the foam is my best option.

hmmmm automotive undercoating, don't know how it is at flamability.

Meant one goes on the inside and one on the outside, otherwise vibration transfers through the screw into the case. Hope you drive cage isn't so tight that you can't put a rubber washer in there.

You'll probably hear the whin no matter what you do, all you can do is lessen it.

My sister covers her computer in pillows...perfect silence lol. i would suggest a case with thicker walls, fan controller, sound dampening material for the exposed areas of your case, rubber washers ( or w/e they sell) for the case fans and anything that has the potential to vibrate.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom