i hate the blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes i have a laptop
the video card is built in a unremovable or upgradeable
i have installed all new updates for the drivers before i posted this
but its usually happens when i plug something into the usb port and unplug it without the program its running stopping
like if i have a printer plugged in i have to change the printer to some different printer before i can unplug it
any help would be nice

the same exact thing happened when I switched from my 9600SE to the cool 6600GT. I had to reformat my computer so it'll work, so i don't know what to say... srry

I hate to say this, it's a defaco answer, but perhaps you should try refromatting.
I did think of something new though, download Knoppix, it's a linux disro that boots off CD and runs off a ramdisk. I think it sets up a lot of stuff automatically, so perhpas d/l the iso and try whatever crashes the comp in knoppix (make sure that knoppix actually does soemthing when you plug in a USB device.) to rule out the computer hardware as the problem.

Also, you siad you downloaded all new drivers, but were those just vid card drivers? USB sounds like a chipset issue. Perhpas upgrade those, or reinstall them off the CD that should have come with your laptop.

If you're tired of seeing blue screens of death...

Edit the SYSTEM.INI file in the Windows directory:

In the [386Enh] add the entries:

MessageTextCOLOR=X
MessageBackCOLOR=X

Where X is replace by the number for each of the following colours:

Black = 0
Blue = 1
Green = 2
Cyan = 3
Red = 4
Magenta = 5
Yellow/Brown = 6
White = 7
Grey = 8
Bright Blue = 9
Bright Green = A
Bright Cyan = B
Bright Red = C
Bright Magenta = D
Bright Yellow = E
Bright White = F

:) Sorry, couldn't resist.

yes thank you digitaloracle but the computer came with an automatic updater and ive checked and everything has been updated

maybe ill change the colors of the blue screen for fun
maybe a red screen would be cool

lol yeah it would be. Much more appropriate than a blue screen. I wonder what compelled M$ to make it blue, pehpas it's association with depression, or perhaps they didn't want people completely flipping out when it came up, asif it's not stressfull enough already.

Sorry I cant think of anything else to do.

red would express the anger i have with this stupid computer
i sent my error report and got this
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=bfc3233b-e6a1-44db-8845-ffdcbe7a29b7&SID=10
it has something to do with the usb drive i think
i hibernated my comp and unplugged my printer from the usb and i got the stupid blue screen saying the same thing except with the printer
the other thing was my usb tv tuner which is by ati so yea it was that thing
ill take it to the stupid store tomorrow to get this stupid problem fixed on my stupid computer cause I HATE THIS DAMN THING
thanks for your help you guys

Oh I see. Now the ATI sys file makes sense. Erm, lemme think....
Try unisntalling whatever soffware came with your ATI device, then plug it in and see if XP will recognize it and install it's own drivers (XP has loads of them for common periferals). Some specific featues may not be avaliable, but it should at least work enough to try whatever was crashing it before. What is the model name and driver version of your ATI card? I'll look into it further, unless you took it to the store and they solved your problem (and took an internal organ to pay for said service :) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom