new computer--any advice appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Major breakthrough!!!

I was searching around my bios...looking into some of the ideas that folks had offered.
There is a setting there that allows the memory setting to be “set by SPD” (I don’t know what ‘SPD’ is—my mobo manual doesn’t say, either...any thoughts???)...the other option is ‘auto’. I changed this setting from ‘auto’ to ‘SPD’. I also changed my clock speed to 166 because (as I have been corrected on) the AMD 2800 (yes, 2.08ghz, NOT 2.8ghz as I had originally thought) DOES NOT have a 400mhz fsb, it runs (as people wiser than myself have pointed out) at 333mhz fsb.

Lo and behold, the comp booted right up, no problems whatsoever. The startup system info still says “cpu of unknown type”, but the speed is correct. System info also reports that the ram is running at 200mhz, but I think that’s just because of the type of ram it is (Corsair DDR 1gb PC3200xl rt).

At this point I need to put it through its paces recording digital audio. I will do this as soon as I get my old comp ready to give to my parents, which is where itÂ’s headed.

The comp doesn’t really seem to be loading programs or running much faster than it had been (running an AMD Athlon 1800, 768mb sdram on an Epox board), but I don’t think I should really be expecting ‘leaps and bounds’ above and beyond the speed I was seeing with the old system. The main thing I was hoping to get from an ‘upgraded’ system was stability. I was starting to see ‘dropouts’ (that’s what Cakewalk—my audio interface—calls them. Not quite ‘crashes’, but close) with the older system, as my recorded audio files got larger and more cumbersome for my old comp.

At this point, I donÂ’t think IÂ’ll feel gypped if I get the stability I was searching for. I also have yet to make all the tweaks to Win XP that digital audio aficionados make to our machines. Faster would be nicer though...

WeÂ’ll see...

Thanks again for all your thoughts.
Tom

Alex81388 said:
Negative, it does NOT run @ 400, I had to double check that myself when I posted above, heres newegg:

That is the barton.

Yeah agreed - only the XP Barton runs at 400FSB, but the original post didn't specify what the core was, and therefore didn't specify that it WASN'T a Barton.

I am such a newb...

Samm...
I have to apologize...

YOU actually suggested the 'SPD' setting a few posts back...
I need to pay more attention to the info that gurus give me...
Thanks again.

So far the systems working, as far as playing my tunes (info out). I have to sit down and record something to see how it handles info in.

And, yes, it is NOT a Barton. Should've specified that in my initial post...

Thanks Samm.
Tom

Misinformation again...

It is a Barton. It does not run at 400mhz fsb. The AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton) runs at 400mhz fsb.

Should've spent a few dollars more (although my 'other half' was a little 'wowed' by what I was spending for this system)...

I don't think I could've justified the additional $$$ to her...

In life, there are trade offs...:)
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom