How do I set up a SATA hard disk in new system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samlinton

Solid State Member
I have built a new computer and I have 1 SATA 200GB Maxtor Diamond Max10 hard disk installed. I have it wired up with the proper Sata cable to my ASUS P5gda deluxe motherboard which supports Sata disks.

I haven't yet installed any software or drivers for anything. Not even windows. I will be installing Windows XP home.

What do I have to do? Have I to partition the disk? Do I use FAT32. Do I have to Format it first. And do I use FDISK or anything like that? Or is it as simple as just putting in the Windows CD?

I know that's a lot of questions but I never did this before.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful for the help.

Thanks, Sam.......

I forgot to mention that no drivers or manual came with the Hard drive. I have disks that came with my motherboard though.

Thanks again,
Sam....

Boot off of your CD to install XP pro. IT will give you the option to partition and format the hard drive. Use NTFS unless you want to dual boot with a win9x or Linux.

After you install XP, use the disk that came with your motherboard to isntall the drivers for your chipset.

Boy that was a very quick reply!!!

Thanks gsbtech!
I'll give it a try tomorrow. Hope that I don't run into any problems.

Thanks very much.

Sam.

u might run into problems like i did it will boot to the cd format then install the files it needs then it will restart and u boot to the hd and continue installing windows well i cant get mine to boot the hd and i have no idea y any help here?? mine is a western digital 80 G hd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom