DDR or DDR2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadeth2

Daemon Poster
I'm building an Intel platform and am considering what memory to get. Should I get DDR or DDR2?

DDR is available in speeds between 200-566.
DDR2 is available between 400-667, but with bad timings.

Upgradability isn't an issue because, for future Intel processors based on 1066 FSB, I could just get DDR533 if you guys recommend standard DDR memory.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-156-025&depa=1

I was thinking of something more on the lines of this. My main concern with this computer is cost. If I choose DDR2, then I have to get a DDR2 motherboard and a quality one like my Duramax will come at atleast $167 and then I'll need to add $125 for the cheapest DDR2.

DDR won't limit my performance and upgradability. I mean that is as long as it is still made up till DDR566. Anyone else?

If you get a mobo that supports DDR2, then you'll probably eventually get better performance out of it. Although the timings are bad now, I imagine they will improve (just like DDR).

i agree cause ddr timings sucked when it first came out and i wanted to stay w/ my pc133!:p but yea im sure ddr2 will get better and then a ddr3 will come out or something w/ bad timings lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom