Advice On Building My First PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
milanbaros said:
I have decided to build my new pc myself for the first time. I am almost a total novice so I need a little help. I am using www.dabs.co.uk to buy the components but if you know much cheaper places to buy from in the UK do tell.

The computer will mostly be used for word processing and the internet but I am getting much more interested in photo editing. I can also see it being used for non console games such as flight sims and strategy (I have only left that genre of gaming behind because my current pc isnt up to scratch).

So far this is what I am thinking but I am very open to suggestions.

Processor: Pentium 4 540 1MB Socket775 800FSB

Mobo:

Abit Intel 915P Socket775 PCI-E ATX Audio/LAN/RAID

Memory: 2x 512MB 184Pin DIMM PC3200 DDR RAM Non-Parity CL3

Hard Drive: SpinPoint P80 160GB SATA150

Optical Drive: DVD+-R/RW 16x16x Black - Drive Only

I don't know which case or graphics card to get so suggestions are welcome.

As you can tell the budget for this isn't big at all but I want to get the most bang for my buck. Can you help me at all?

looks good....keep an eye on the temps is you go with that intel socket b/c they run HOT.....so I would invest in a really good heatsink and fans....(make sure your case has plenty of ventilation) or go with water cooling. As for the vid card...the fx5200 is pretty much good for 14 or 15k in aquamark....its a bare minimum card in my opinion....I like the 6600gt as well and they are at a good price currently.

Oh yeah, i forgot about the notorious LGA775 OH problems. I dont suggest those CPU's for anyone that does'ent have a cooling system in mind. So if your not going to get into cooling, just running a stock computer. I suggest a 478, witch i dont like. Or a AMD64 socket 939. I think you should take this very seriously, if your not going to invest in a cooling system, then drop the LGA775 yo.

Talk of the 775skt P4 OH problem got me worried so I am now considering buying an Athlon 64 3400+ S574.

Will this mobo be ok for this processor?

Also, how do I get firewire prots for my pc etc?

Since it doesn't look like your mobo mentioned in your last post supports firewire, you would have to buy a PCI card with ports on it. I dont think they are terribly expensive, probably arouns $30-$50 US. Anyway, I would probably prefer an expansion card to an integrated one; it gives you a little better flexibility and probably better drivers (my system thought the firewire was a network interface)

Thankyou all for the advice (even if I haven't taken some of it;)). I have decided on this so far:

Swann Communications Firewire Connectivity PCI Card (card only)

Kingston ValueRAM 2x512MB 184Pin DIMM PC3200 DDRRAM Non-Parity CL3

Samsung SpinPoint P80 160GB SATA150

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ S754 512Kb Box

Gigabyte VIA K8M800M Socket 754 MATX Audio/LAN/RAID

Gigabyte GeForce 6600GT 128MB PCI-E VIVO

Samsung DVD+-R/RW 16x16x Black - Drive Only

This comes in at just under £600 inc. delivery. What I reall want to know is whether I have made any compatability errors with my selections. I am also still open to suggestions as to better value products etc, but anything over the £500 I am paying so its inclusion has to really be worth it.

Thanks again.

I am not sure if I am finding that exact mobo or not, but the one I found that I think is it is pretty bare bone. If you have any extra room in your budget I would try to upgrade that. The mobo is one place you don't want to skimp. You could easily find one with built in firewire, so you wouldn't need that card any more offsetting some of the cost. I would try to find on with dual channel memory. Can you link to the mobo you are talking about? Because I also noticed that vid card you listed is pci-e, and the mobo I looked at didn't have pci-e. I think it is also micro atx, do you want that?

Here is the link for the mobo

I actually have a firewire port.

If you could, see if you can find a better mobo on this site which would be compatible with the other components. Thanks for your time.

Well, a couple of things.

Right now your mobo and video card are not compatible. You have a mobo with an AGP slot and a PCI-E video card. You will have to make those the same. They make AGP versions of the 6600GT so that wouldn't be hard to change. Or find a mobo with PCI-E.

Second, that mobo is micro ATX, and as the name implies it is small. You will probably want and ATX board. Regardless, you will need to make sure the case you get is compatible with the mobo's form factor (MATX, ATX, etc..)

I actually forgot before, but I beleive socket 754 boards are going to have dual channel, so if you want that you will need to go with socket 939.

That should be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom