QA assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarabjit

Solid State Member
Hi folks,

Am part of a QA team for a project these days, and hence need to detect, record and document bugs in a Windows Application. While finding bugs (unhandled exceptions etc.) is not very tough, trying to reconstruct them often takes up quite a lot of time. In most such cases, I fail to remember that one mouse-click or keystroke that comprised a series of events that generated the bug.

To make it easier for myself to reconstruct these bugs, I spent some time looking for utilities that can record mouse movements/keystrokes etc. so that I can playback and see what actually caused the error. I did find a couple of programs which though did a good job doing what they claimed they could (see below), but only provided a partial solution.

Thus, I'm broadcasting this SOS - If anyone knows of a software that is (hopefully specifically designed for QA) and lets you record, study and playback the series of events during the last 5,10,15,200 seconds etc. do let me know. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers..
Sarab.

Programs tried:

1. Journal Macro
http://www.gold-software.com/JournalMacro-file5084.html
"Journal Macro is an easy-to-use mouse and keyboard macro recorder, player and editor designed to help you eliminate repetitive operations."
Advantages:
1. Lets you playback your event records including even the mouse movements at a customizable speed.
Problems:
1. Does not generate a log file (not that I know of) that one can manually study.
2. No way to customise the playback. Thus, if the error only occured in the last 5 seconds of a 50s long movie, there's no way to playback only the last 5 seconds.

2. Mouse and Key Recorder
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Mouse-and-Key-Recorder.shtml
"The Mouse and Key Recorder is an enhanced automation tool, which allows recording and replaying virtually every data input by keyboard and mouse."
Advantages:
1. Generates an easy to understand log of all events.
Problems:
1. Records mouse clicks in terms of their spatial co-ordinates on the screen. Unless one reopens exactly the same windows and keeps them of the same sizes as they were during recording and then figures out what the co-ordinates correspond to, there's no way (not that I could find) of finding out the numbers mean.

sarabjit said:
2. Mouse and Key Recorder
Problems:
1. Records mouse clicks in terms of their spatial co-ordinates on the screen. Unless one reopens exactly the same windows and keeps them of the same sizes as they were during recording and then figures out what the co-ordinates correspond to, there's no way (not that I could find) of finding out the numbers mean.

that's prolly the best an app can do. The alternative would be to use a video capture tool, but you would experience a major performance hit because of all the processing that has to occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom