1 SATA HDD and 1 IDE HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_source

Daemon Poster
So i have installed 1 SATA HDD that is 160gb. I want to put in my 120gb HDD from my old pc. I also have 1 DVD+-RW that is not on the same ribbon as the SATA drive. How should i set it up. I belive the SATA HDD is the master on one cable and the DVDRW is also the master on another cable. My OS is on the SATA drive and will remain there. Should i set up the DVDRW and the 120gb HDD on the same cable, keeping the DVDRW as the master and making the 120gb hdd as the slave? These things confuse me...

I have a similar set-up. My SATA is all alone. The DVD is all on it's own. I happen to have two IDE's tho so I have one cable for those two. Liz

so tell me then, how do you have them set up with respect to master and slave? and which drive is ur OS on?

I have all mine set on cable select. I avoid the master/slave issue that way, :) And right now the o/s is on the SATA but I'm getting ready to move it to the small IDE (the 30gig) .

I have a 30 gig Maxtor IDE
an 80 gig Seagate SATA
and a 160 gig Maxtor IDE
And I want the o/s on the smallest hard drive, I just put the 30 gig in there AFTER I last reformated. Liz

So maybe i can avoid all this too then b/c i have enough slots for all 3 devices to be on a separte cable. I dont see a point to any of this master/slave business...how does it affect the performance of the machine?

I haven't noticed a difference between the performance of master/slave and cable select. I do know it's easier to keep track of it. Liz

1 SATA HDD and 1 IDE HDD together

will this arrangement affect Speed?
I have a new 36gig WD Raptor and an older 20 gig IDE HDD. Will this slow down the Raptor? How would I configure them? Thanks. I am building my second, First computer! I have a DVD burner and DVD rom also. Any help needed. I want to put my OS on the Raptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom