LokiTorrent gets shutdown!! -Must Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demalii

Fully Optimized
Source: http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=661

LokiTorrent fed the torrent hunger of 680,000 active registered members and dealt with 1.8 million hits per day. They were the only website to stand and fight the MPAA after the pre-Christmas shutdowns. Or so the community, who donated $40,000 legal aid, thought.

Either $40, 000 is not enough to fight, or the MPAA have given Edward Webber, the site owner, a better offer.

“This website has been permanently shut down by court order because it facilitates the illegal downloading of copyrighted motion pictures,” an MPAA notice on Lokitorrent.com now reads.

Torrentstop, LokiTorrent's lighter sister which is also run by Webber, displays the same notice.

Sources close to Webber have confirmed that the shutdown by the MPAA is permanent. The case will not go to trail. No more information is available at this stage due to a court gagging order.

Update: LokiTorrent administrator Edward Webber has agreed to pay a substantial fine and to provide all BitTorrent activity logs of its former users. This comes as a serious betrayal to those who felt that LokiTorrent intended to fight the MPAA lawsuit. From the MPAA press release:

The MPAA's efforts to date have resulted in a 40 percent reduction in the number of servers that continue to operate. One such site that will no longer exist is LokiTorrent—one of the largest BitTorrent host servers. The operator of that site, Edward Webber, agreed to not only pay a substantial settlement with even greater financial penalties for any further such actions, but by Court Order must provide the MPAA with access to and copies of all logs and server data related to his illegal BitTorrent activities, which will provide a roadmap to others who have used LokiTorrent to engage in illegal activities.

i have the mpaa, those rich bums, legally they are the correct ones, but ethically they arnt. They charge $30 for a cd, and it costs them $0.17c

got this in my www.rootsecure.net newsletter today. pretty interesting read. this person also cites his sources but i haven't checked them.

from Penalties of Stealing vs. Infringing

Disclaimer
I Am Not A Lawyer. I will quote the appropriate sections of the Code in detail below, and you can go review it for yourself. (Also see the Congressional Committee Report on the NET Act for the intended effects of the NET Act amendments.)

In Brief
But from what I can tell, the penalties laid out for downloading one season of a TV show with BitTorrent are much harsher than if you actually stole a DVD set of the same show from a government store. I lay out a practical example in detail below, but to cut to the chase: For stealing the DVD you could face no more than up to 1 year imprisonment and up to a $100,000 fine; for downloading the same material you could face statutory damages of up to $3,300,000, costs and attorney's fees (ie: the other guy's attorneys), as well as up to 1 year imprisonment, and up to a $100,000 fine.

So, a $100,000 fine, a year in jail, some $3 million in statutory damages, plus all costs and lawyers fees, just for downloading a broadcast TV show with BitTorrent...

Now imagine you're a less scrupulous person. You still want to see Alias season 2. So you go out and swipe the DVD set from a government store (it's government just so I can use the same Code to directly compare the severity of the two infractions). "Alias - The Complete Second Season", a six DVD set, with all 22 episodes plus special features, deleted scenes, commentary, and more, retailing at $69.99, minus your five finger discount.

Only, you get caught.

Title 18, Part I, Chapter 31, section 641:
"Whoever [...] steals [...] - Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; but if the value of such property does not exceed the sum of $1,000, he shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both."

The prison term makes this at most a class A misdemeanor (Title 18, Part II, Chapter 227, Subchapter A, section 3559 subsection a 6: "one year or less but more than six months, as a Class A misdemeanor;"), for which the maximum fine is $100,000 (Title 18, Part II, Chapter 227, Subchapter C, section 3571, subsection a 5: "for a Class A misdemeanor that does not result in death, not more than $100,000;").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom