the XBOX as a pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob_man_uk

Solid State Member
hi people,

kind of an odd question but i have recently had a weired feeling about taking an XBOX case take out all the hardware (xbox harddware that is) and replace it with a mini-itx mobo, and turning it into something hot, now im no n00b when it comes to PC's (i work as an IT techie for a living) but what i need is some kind of guide for rigging up power and cables for DVD drives, power switch etc, if anyone has anyideas please post here as i am very eager to get this project underway,

thanks

mattyg

same question has been posted at

http://forums.devhardware.com/showthread.php?p=359418#post359418

Why don't you just mod the xbox (soft mod or chip) and install linux. No need to replace all the hardware.

Yea the xbox is a pc with a graphics card made for tv's. I'ts fairly simple to get linux on a box, and then you can use it on your computer like a regular pc.

Why cant you just put XP on it? I modded my xbox by putting an 80-pin on the HD and DVD drive.:D make loading times faster and such but i lost my warranty.:(

Why cant you just put XP on it?
Because none has ported a version to run on it. Since it is closed source it makes it very hard to do. Linux being open source gives you that flexability.

you should look again. they even showed it on a MaxPC magazine where they had xp PRO running on an xbox. I dont know what else they did to it but i know it was running.

wel,

one i dont like linux, too complicated for my liking, sure its free but having to compile your own software it just does my head in (dont drag linux up again i know you can get pre-compiled binaries, just dont go there)

two, i now only have a case, thats it, i should have mentioned that the hardware was broke in the first place and so i had a useless xbox, the dvd works ok since i tried it in another box, but i have asked others and told that there is no way to get the dvd drive working on normal pc hardware, ok so back to my original question is there anyone who can help me wire up the box's power switch and eject button for my dvd-rom that i am going to put in, i also envisage that i will be replacing the fan in the back for a neon fan and another question is it possible to use the old xbox powersupply to power the new motherboard, just questions, if you can see any problems with my plan please sayso now so i can find a workaroud before i buy all the stuff,

thanks y'all

mattyG

give me a few, there is a way to wire the eject on a dvd to work in the xbox. however, as far as I understand it, you can not use a xbox dvd in a computer because of firmare on the drive itself using keys and encryption. I'll post the link to hook up another dvd to the xbox as soon as I can.. I remember seeing one around somewhere, with nice little pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom