cpu ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenyora

Daemon Poster
hi there .....i have a few qustions that i need help with...
why is an amd 2.() is better than 3.4 intel p4......isnt the Operating Frequency the speed of the cpu and faster is better?
2)what things that i should look for when building the computer..just heat or is there something ells that i should watch out for?

AMD do more per mhz due to their short skinny pipelines compared to intel's long laggy fat pipelines.

Their is no 100% true AMD to match the 3.4 ghz intel's as they are between the 2ghz 3200 and 2.2 ghz 3400 and 3500's

K, not every AMD is better and in most cases not even close to the P4 3.4E. there are comparable processors in AMDs, particularly the 64 or FX series. The first thing you need to decide is your cpu interface, AMD has Socket A (462), 754 and 939 (and the quickly dying 940) and Intel PGA 478, 775. The older XP series using socket A are yesterdays news. the really just don't have the mhz or the FSB. the newer 754 or 939 using 64 bit instruction take advantage of an incredible 1200 to 2000 mhz FSB (front side bus), allowing them to communicate with all the components at an incredibly faster rate than the newer P4 800 or their older counterparts at 533 or a crawling 400. Also, many chipset designs for the AMD take advantage of the FSB and 64 bit instruction. this isn't always the case. ALWAYS research the chipset architecture b4 u buy the mobo.

this is the source code for the overclocking guide io stole from the OC Admin forum post

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.ellingsen/cpu_history_big.gif

so which one is better...i mean amd that can give me an intel 3.4 profrmance in using maya(3d modeling).....and a good gaming one...

The older XP series using socket A are yesterdays news. the really just don't have the mhz or the FSB[quoe]

my socket A runs daily a 2500mghz with a 250 fsb....lol....and maxes out at 2765mghz. Of course it is a mobile and it is overclocked.

zenyora said:
so which one is better...i mean amd that can give me an intel 3.4 profrmance in using maya(3d modeling).....and a good gaming one...

for 3d or gaming go with AMD. I think the FX series are overpriced unless you just have money to burn or have someone else paying for it for you. I would get a 3000+winnie or a 3500+winnie paired with a good mobo.

and it's not 2000FSB it's HTT because FSB is no longer a term used in 64bit CPUs.

The XPs damn well can keep up. A 2.5GHz XP would perform the same as a 2.2-2.3GHz 64bit AMD.

I have my comp benched at 2.7GHz and it's comparable to a 3.8GHz Intel. Not an extreme edition or anything but it goes to show you the AMDs give the Intels a run for the money.

You cant simply ask 'which is better' because thats all a matter of opinion.

For the most part the rule of thumb is

Gaming - AMD
Multitasking and applications - Intel

Mind you that's a guideline, not set in stone, either chip can still do good in gaming or applications.

mike11973 said:
my socket A runs daily a 2500mghz with a 250 fsb....lol....and maxes out at 2765mghz. Of course it is a mobile and it is overclocked.

your AXP setup at almost 2.8GHz and 250FSB will give a socket 754 setup a run for its money in a 32-bit playing field. even slightly overclocked the 754 has some catching up to do...but if you can get it up there then it will pass you up. mobile chips are still capable of doing ANYTHING out there minus the few 64-bit apps. once the 64bit-OS comes out THEN you might have some upgrading to do.

K, not every AMD is better and in most cases not even close to the P4 3.4E

thats a bad comparison. this thread is about basic P4's, not P4 Extreme Editions. they are almost in entire different categories IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom