Blown Fuse in Power Supply... is it dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

levelwave

Beta member
Hello... first post here with a big problem. The power went out last Sunday in my apartment and went it came back on... my pc didn't. Well I smelled a slight electrical burn aroma around the PWS so I popped the screws and opened it up. Well I found a blown fluse. Can I just replace the fuse or is this a sign of something worse where I need to just replace the whole pws? It's a fairly expensive Enermax 420w variable fan rate pws so I'm kinda hesitant to replace it if I don't have to.

Also if I can just replace the fuse, where's a good place to get them? I've looked at both Lowe's and Radio Shack to no avail. It's a 2A 250V (I think)

thanks for any suggestions.

I'd say replacing the fuse is all you need to do, that is after all what they are meant to do.

Couldn't tell ya where to get one though as I woulda guessed radio shack woulda had it =/

Google it and see what kind of stores come up that offer it.

check home depot or canadian tire....well...the equivelent if your not from canada....like..humm...heck, i don't even know any hardware stores outside of canada lol. oh...there's home hardware isn't there?

I heard they have Canadian tire in the states, when it's winter that's where Americans shop.

Yeah, simply replace the fuse and it should work

Thanks guys... I'll swing by Ace Hardware or Home Depot and see what I can muster up.

If I do have to replace it, is there any reason I have to get another $79.00 USD Enermax or can I get a cheaper $35-$45 offbrand? Does price reflect quality?

Price does reflect qulity, duh :p

Post your PC specs, their's a cheap 40$ PS i ordered that is supposed to be very good as long as you dont need over 420watts

P4 2.53
512 DDR Ram
Geforce 4 4400 (I no longer play games)
2 Hard Drives
1 Floppy
1 CPU fan
3 Case fans

No longer play games!?! We can't help your kind here.

:p Completely kidding man :D

From those specs you shouldn't need a very powerful PSU at all assuming you even wind up needing one which I doubt

Nubius said:
No longer play games!?! We can't help your kind here.

:p Completely kidding man :D

From those specs you shouldn't need a very powerful PSU at all assuming you even wind up needing one which I doubt

Hahaha... yeah, well after "if( x == y){ getFoo(); }" 8 hours a day... the last thing I want to do is come home and jump in front of a monitor. I still need to beat Morrowind though... Hmmmmm, maybe when I get that new fuse ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom