Page File

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3trj

Fully Optimized
OK I tried to turn off my page file, but when I press ctrl alt del to show the Task Manager, it still shows that I am using my page file. I don't want to be using it because I don't need to. Why is it still telling me that I'm using some? And how do I stop Windows XP unnecessarily using it?

Thanks in advance.

I have 1 GB of RAM and I never even use half of it usually, and I've certainly never used it to it's full potential ever.

Now im not to sure about this, but i don't think windows will let you completely rid the page file...
Whats your VM at ?
how exactly did you turn your PF off ?????

You can turn off the page file in XP, but you have to reboot before it happenes. the page file is not really needed with a large amount of ram in a system. It's just another way to slow down the system.
The option is only available in XP and can be found in under the advanced options of the system properties, then performance settings and under that advanced tab there as well. Click Change and then clickt he radio button for No page file. click apply and then reboot. That should take care of it.

Good luck

Yeah that's what I did, and it told me to restart so I did, but when it had restarted I pressed ctrl alt and del expecting the PF usage to be 0, but it was still the same as it was before. Is this graph the same as the page file I'm trying to turn off? When I went back to the settings it was definitely set to be off.

Perhaps Task manager is displaying it incorrectly. Download rainmeter and see if that reports the same thing. If it does, perhpas you have to set the pagefile size to zero. I dont know, its another case of windows stupidity.

In task manager, when it displays the PF usage, it is actually displaying the page file plus the RAM. If you read where it says the Limit of your Commit Charge (K), it should show the amount of RAM you have, nothing more.

Ive done some reading about pagefiles recently and unless misinformed was told to never completely delete PF. Should be at least 300mb. Was this wrong cause I also have 1gb of Ram and like thing to run fast. I currently have mine set at 1024mb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom