- AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Processor
- ASUSTeK A7N8X-LX Motherboard
- HP DVD 300c Writer Drive
- Samsung 52x Re-Writer Drive
- Seagate 7200RPM 120GB HDD
- Antec SmartPower SL300SP 300W PSU
- Inno3D Geforce FX5700LE 256MB GFX Card with large Heatsink
- 92mm Sunon Case Fan

...and my computer's idle average CPU temperature is 60°C , stated using SpeedFan 4.20 . My heatsink fan, case fan and PSU fan operate at normal speed most of the time, however since I've installed my FX5700LE card, I've noticed that my case and heatsink fan keep throttling up, especially during gaming. I understand why my system does this, but I want to know, is this continual throttling a sign that my system is having a fever? Also, is 60°C high for my system?

I've ordered an Antec SmartCool Thermally Controlled case fan, so that I can hook it up to a molex connector, freeing my onboard fan connecter for my Antec PSU's fan control line. That way, all my fans can will be variably controlled. However, I fear my somewhat cheap attempt in system cooling may soon literally explode in my face. Please can you help? I've seen some Tom's Hardware Guide Videos of 'What happens when processors have no heatsink', and although that's moving towards extremities, I fear my CPU or any of my components for that matter, will ignite and cremate itself.

60*C idle is very dangerous. Mine usually runs 38-42*C idle. I would never let it get to 60*C, even under full load.

If my PC gets over 5 degrees hotter than me it's too hot.

Yours is WAAY too hot, feel how hot your heatsink is, and if possible measure it

Re:

oh....really :rolleyes: :( . Ummm...shud I stop replying to posts, stop playing castle of wolfenstein and turn off my PC.

I would really start thinking about a cooling system. Rather its air cooling or water cooling. Either one would help alot, if that was my computer. I wouldent do anything intil my cooling system was finished. But thats just me.

is it just now that its at 60 or is always at it? sometimes those sensors are off tho

Re:

I see. As much as I crave water cooling, I really can't afford the equipment, so unfortunately I'll have to settle with air cooling.

I'm quite the PC enthusiast, so I tend to crack open my case...for no apparent reason. But the main reason is the paranoia I have with my computer. Such paranoia includes clicking sounds from fans, and cables blocking airflow. I've swapped those horrid space consuming flat IDE and Floppy cables with nice, neat round cables, and have ensured that everything is tucked away. There's a wide space for airflow,

Any reasons as to why my CPU is feverish? My PC was a bought Compaq SS500UK, and in its life I have only swapped the Radeon 9200 with an FX5700, replaced a faulty PSU and added a CD-RW Drive. Is it due to the addition of hardware which is causing high temperatures?

I must admit, I've removed the heatsink...several times...I don't know why. Could cracked thermal pads be the cause to high CPU temperatures?

is it just now that its at 60 or is always at it? sometimes those sensors are off tho

Re:

The temperature measures 60 Degrees Celcius in BIOS and using SpeedFan.... And I've been playing Halo, Far Cry and Joint Operations for ages!!! :( ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom