PC in a mini fridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be a good temperature for a cpu in Celsius? Mine right now with just fans and a cpu heatsink and stays at 35C and 40C when it's loaded. I think the temperature is good right now but in the summer it goes up to 60C and higher so maybe that's why I want a mini fridge!
BTW I am in Seattle, WA

Peace out!
:beard:

That's an ok temp and much lower than my friends 2500+

However, i now think you should move to antarticia for cooling reasons

I actually thought of putting a pc in a deep freeze (like a fridge but just a giant freezer), I think that would work fairly well.

Anything with a door is going to be bad news. Once you've chilled the box, as soon as you open the door, tons of moisture in the form of vapor fog is gonna go right in as the cold air inside hits the warmer air outside. Mess mess mess.

Besides, if you leave the parts inside the case, the case will shield the CPU from most of the cold. So you'd have to make it really freaking cold inside, which will push up the cost of operating and further increase the chances of moisture damage.

Your best bet would be to either make or buy a fridge compressor and cooling coil, drill some holes in a heatsink, pipe the coolant coils through it, and do it that way. Insulate the pipes, and you've got a direct cooling solution at low relative cost and risk. That's generally the same thing used in MPPU's and supercomputers. Noisy, but effective. You really gotta deep-freeze the chip to notice a big improvement anyway.

Besides, if you leave the parts inside the case, the case will shield the CPU from most of the cold. So you'd have to make it really freaking cold inside, which will push up the cost of operating and further increase the chances of moisture damage.

thats easily fixed by removing the pc case side pannel. and moisture cant get in, unless the fridge door is open.

Your best bet would be to either make or buy a fridge compressor and cooling coil, drill some holes in a heatsink, pipe the coolant coils through it, and do it that way. Insulate the pipes, and you've got a direct cooling solution at low relative cost and risk
that would work, though i dont think its possible for your aferage joe to do it. and there maybe condensation issues if your ina humid environment.

but wouldnt that use relativly the same amound of energy to cool it, since your using a fridge compressor? the compressor would do the same if it was in an actuall fridge, witch is his original idea.

The whole point here is that electrons travel more easily in a near-zero degree environment. If your chip's running at 45C, and you put it in the fridge and it's now running at 30C, you won't notice a difference. You likely won't even notice a difference if you get things down to 15-20C.

Even still, the chips themselves aren't usually too good at holding up at extreme temperatures. If you freeze it, and you do something like open the door onto a warm room or cause it to spike, you could crack the chip.

Your best bet, for practical reasons, is probably to just ditch the whole fridge idea in the first place. Use a liquid cooling system, and replace the water with something capable of moving at very low temperatures (like antifreeze, low visc oil, or vodka). Chill the cooling unit (put it in the fridge or put a coil around it) and yer set. Nice and safe, and no real moisture problems to worry about (if you use thick enough tubbing). Assuming the pump motor can withstand the temperatures, you could drop the temperature of the liquid to below freezing, and pass that right over the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom