dual hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
BestBuy will rob you blind over HDDs...

...Okay, not blind...you can see the prices and vomit on the spot...

Anyway, if you can, always buy online. You'll get better prices and a wider selection. Start at NewEgg or TigerDirect and work your way around till you get good deals.

hey! a fellow windsorite! silicon direct is a 5 minute walk from my house. i ilve accross from assumption high school. anyways,

what about the computer center? (white builing south side of tecumseh road west, near the polish meat market [past blockbuster]). ive boughten miscelanious (sp?) accesories from there cheap, but the place doesn't look too....legit.

anyways, ill check out silicon direct. thanks.

alright,

theyve got:

maxtor 40gb 7200 rpm - $79.99
samsung 40 gb 7200rpm - $89.99
samsung 80 gb 7200rpm - $99.99

that samsung 80 gb is looking pretty good. ill check around.

OK shoein, heres the scoop. $50 for a 40gb HDD is a complete rip off, dont buy it. I payed my 160gb SATA HDD for about $100-120, we're talking canadian cash here. Get something larger than 40gb, once u get more tech savvy u'll appreciate more room on ur drive. My 160gb is full already, i am adding a 120gb just for dvd burning and sh1t.
Also, when installing it, the OS will NOT recognize it automaticall and it cannot be used automatically. It must be formatted. Then u can set the letter you want associated with it.
I would suggest using the 80 as the storage drive and the 40 as the OS drive since its smaller. That way you can make seprate partitions of the 80. You may also want to partition the 40 and use part of that as storage as 40gb is way too much for an OS drive. Mine is about 10-13gb total.
Also, when u purchased the pc they should have given u a copy of the OS, its illegal to do otherwise. Just b/c they reinstalled u it again and agian doesnt mean its legal. They could be using the same copy on everyones machine.

Good luck.

Yeah, no kidding. $80 for a 40gb HDD is a total rip-off. Paying that kind of money for a 40gb (in anything other than an emergency) is like...well it's stupid, I'll just go there.

I don't trust the mail-in rebates. Even when they work, it takes like 6 months. I'd rather just go to NewEgg, buy the drive for $90, and be done with it.

When i originally bought my western digital drive it was $280 and came with a $90 rebate (CAD). I mailed it in and they said 3 months it would take, fine. After 6-8weeks i called WD and asked them about my rebate, luckily I made copies of the receipt and the bar code b/c he told me they didnt have it in the system. I faxed my stuff over to him and he said he'd get it out within 2-3weeks. I didnt care as long as it came. Low and behold the next day i get the mail-in rebate...to make it funny, 2 weeks later i get the 2nd rebate. All of a sudden i got $180 off a $280 HDD, they never found out...nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom