dual hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Report them to microsoft!!!

I once had an illegal version windows ME i think once.
Now I have a legal version of XP for every PC on my network. However, due to microsoft's stupid activation, i had to use a non legal approach. Reinstalled XP too much and my cd key isnt valid :/

i dont think i can report them to microsoft, because ive been at the shop where ive seen them installing a legal windows cd onto a computer. and plus, theyve re installed it free of charge when i had to take it in. so no complaints. :)

as for the hard drive, can any of you recomend a cheap brand? 40gb is what im looking at. also, im in canada, and future shop has a western digital 40gb 7200rpm hard drive for 49.99 (after rebate)

here

im not too picky, anythign will do

-tommy.

You won't need drivers. It will automatically see the other drive. But after you install you need to make sure that in the command prompt you "format" it..

Here's a couple ideas:

Use Norton Ghost and copy your drive with the OS to the new hard drive. This way you are legal when handling the Windows OS. I personally would make the 40 Gb your OS drive and the 80 Gb the storage drive.

Then again:

You can get an 80 Gb drive for only like $20 more than a 40 Gb, so why not go for that? Besides, the 40Gb will likely come with only a 2 Mb buffer, the 80 will most likely have an 8 Mb buffer, or least be available with one for roughly the same price.

Make the new drive for storage an 80Gb, leave your current hard drive alone, and save yourself the trouble of doing any ghosting, or OS reload.

or should i install the illegal version on the new drive (40gb), and on the 80gb, keep all the windows files, just dont run the OS on that drive, and use it for storage? that way if something happened the to 40, my 80 would be alive.

shoein said:
i dont think i can report them to microsoft, because ive been at the shop where ive seen them installing a legal windows cd onto a computer.
It doesn't matter what they do and if they're using legal copies or not. You DO-NOT own a legal installation of Windows unless you at least own an official license document. That is the very least you should have. If you purchase from Dell or whatever, they put the OS recovery (Windows) on a partition, but you still get a license.

"i bought the computer originally at a shop, where they built it for me. they installed windows and never gave me a disk."
B-DEJAM_solo.gif

shoein....i'd reccommend going to the best buy...i think they have better prices......you can check out Silicon Direct at dominion and tecumseh as well...i havn't priced their hd's for a little bit, but they've usualy got competitive prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom