Dell crash analysis tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifreak3

In Runtime

I get this picture after I run Dell's crash analysis tool available from their website. How can I fix these? I don't want to update my Mcaffee firewall because I use the windows one. What can I do?

Well that picture didn't work, here is the text:
Application Drivers
Driver Manufacturer
Aspi32.SYS Adaptec, Incorporated
MpFirewall.sys McAfee.com
Cdralw2k.SYS Roxio, Inc.

Also, how can I post a picture that I have (like one I capture from the print screen request)?

First off, you need more of a firewall than just the one that windows provides anyway. That isn't enough. That protects stuff from coming in but not stuff from going out so if you have malware on your system, it could *phone home* to places outside your system anyway.

Sounds like your McAfee has crashed.

What you need to do is follow the instructions in this thread: http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34713 and then then if you find any malware, post a HiJack Log in the HiJack Log (Analyze) Forum.

If not, you still need to turn ON your McAfee firewall ANYWAY and turn OFF the WINDOWS SP2 firewall. Liz

I would turn my Mcaffee firewall protectio nback on but they want me to pay for that I don't think that is necessary. I do pay for Mcaffee virus scan updates though. I use Mcaffee Security Center, which has Virus Scan, Firewall Protection, and Privacy Service all integrated into one program. Can I just disable the Firewall protection part, or not? I would call Mcaffee but they want like $30-$36 just for a phone call!

IF you aren't going to pay for it, then UNINSTALL McAfee and use something FREE. There is a whole set of FREE A/V and Firewalls out there!

For an anti/virus download one of these:
Avast! Home Edition
AntiVir Personal Edition
AVG Free Edition
All three are free for personal use.

For a firewall, download one of these:
ZoneAlarm Free
Sygate Personal Firewall
They are free for personal use.

Then download each of these programs and use them at least 2-3 times a week:
Ad-Aware SE Personal
SpyBot-Search & Destroy 1.3
Spybot - Search and Destroy DSO Exploit Fix 1.3.1 TX (this is the DSO Exploit fix for the Spybot and only has to be run ONCE)

Download these two and update 2x weekly at minimum.
SpywareBlaster
SpywareGuard
These two KEEP spyware out but do NOT remove it. Liz

I use Ad-aware and Spybot at least once a day. I also just downloaded Microsoft Antispyware and will use it daily. I will try out SpywareBlaster and SpywareGurad too. Do you think one of the Antivirus programs you listed is just as good as Mcaffee? If i get a virus or a trojan from a website, which seems to happen often lately, Mcafee will immediately recognize and delete it so that it doesn't infect anything. Do the free programs work actively like that too?

Okay, here is a place to compare how they do, the free ones and the ones you pay for: http://www.virusbulletin.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?table
Or you can look by vendor, McAfee has a 50% pass/fail rate. AVG has a 7 passes / 20 fails but is now in version 7 and that was version 6 and that is the free and paid version. Avast 11 passes / 19 fails but that is the free and paid version. Norton has 27 passes / 6 fails but is a resource hog. Trend Micro has 11 passes / 7 fails amd is also a resource hog.

If you truly want the BEST one and are willing to pay for it: Nod32 30 passes / 3 fails. But it doesn't have a firewall. Zone Alarm Free would go nicely with it. Liz

If not, you still need to turn ON your McAfee firewall ANYWAY and turn OFF the WINDOWS SP2 firewall.

I don't think it is possible to just turn off the firewall part of Mcaffee Security Center, is it? I can't figure out how without also turning off the Virus scan part of it too, which I recently paid for until December 2005. Does anyone else know how to turn just the firewall part off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom