PC Shuts down after 30sec of boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some ideas

Did you build the system?

Pull your MB out of the case and set it on an anti-static pad (they usually come with one). Plug in a floppy drive, one stick of ram, CPU, and graphics card. See if you can boot (by shorting the power-on leads). If it doesn't, test your graphics and RAM in an old/different computer (or scrounge up a graphics adapter that is you know to work (PCI if you have one)). If it boots out of the case, you may have shorted your MB against he case.

I always try to test a new setup before I put it in the case. Make sure evertying is plugged securely. Contact tolerance is pretty narrow for AGP. Are you sure you have the correct RAM. Does the system make it past the post and RAM test? If you've elimininated all of these other possibilities, I'd suspect a defective MB.

Yeah I'm sure I have the correct RAM because the MB takes 333/400. And I have 2 sticks of 400 and 1 stick of 333. Not sure what else to do, and the MB wouldn't have shorted against the case because I put some insulation in between the side panel and the MB, and some copper pillars to keep the MB away from the case. Dunno what else to do.

What's the return policy where you purchased the hardware? It's difficult to find a problem like this without interchangable hardware that is known to work. It's almost unavoidable for a home builder to have at least MB and Processor being new and untested. You've tested more than one stick of RAM and more than one power supply. I just don't believe it heats up fast enough in 30 seconds for a safety shutdown. It would be odd for your graphics or CPU to turn off your system otherwise. If a connection is incorrect or messed up, I don't think you'd get into the BIOS setup. That leaves it likely that your MB is defective. If I didn't have a shop to isolate the problem between the CPU, MB, and graphics, I'd exchange the MB and cross my fingers. I still like to see them running outside the case.

Regulus said:
Ok, so scratch the PSU. My best guess is that the HSF isn't providing enough airflow. That is a pretty fast processor.

Yes I am thinking that two Ive worked witha couple prescotts and they do run pretty hottttt, try getting an aftermarket fan and it could be your system overheating after 30 seconds if you have temp sensors, then it might be them. How many fans do you have in their or better yet see if you can get a pic, and did you make sure to have 1 intake and 1 exhust?

On my pc at home iver got 2 intake fans and 2 exhust so it really circulates the air!

7 fans and its pretty quiet

I'll take a picture tomorrow, but I have temp sensors and it was reading like 25.5 celcius on bootup (My processor that is). And I have 2x 80mm fans and 1x 120mm fan, and one of the 80mm fans is on the front panel, and the other one is attached to an air duct located on my side panel. Then the 120mm fan is on the back. How can I prevent my processor from overheating? I was reading on some forums from my Motherboard company, and they said that there are heat sensors in the MB and that it will shut down the PC if it gets to hot. So I'm not sure.

Auman

75 degrees is not shabby expecial when those prescotts are good for about 136 F but has it been like this since day have u installed anything new or touched anything, reset your mobo

25 Celsius is well within operating specs. I don't know why the focus here is on heat. I understand there are a lot of overclockers out there who get all excited about cooling and how many fans they have in their system but, for crying out loud, you have brand new components with cooling beyond factory specs that doesn't even make it through the post up so you can check the BIOS settings. A PSU fan and a CPU fan is usually plenty to get your system running. Throw in a case fan blowing in the right direction and you have more than enough cooling unless you turn up the clock. If they don't work with standard cooling and standard settings, you have something else wrong. Honestly I don't want a dozen fans wirling away on my box unless it's absolutely necessary - especially if it's sitting under my desk. If you need to upgrade your CPU sink and fan just to turn your comptuer on, you don't want it. You spent too much money to have to deal with that. It should work out of the box.

Most of the time when your new system doesn't post it's an obvious head slapper - you just didn't plug something in right. If your new components are going to fail, the odds say that they will fail within the first few minutes of operation and the majority of those failures will have something to do with the MB. Minimize your system to the least amount of tested (and standard) components, make sure that only the necessary connections are made properly, and if it doesn't work, send it back...

gsbtech said:

Most of the time when your new system doesn't post it's an obvious head slapper - you just didn't plug something in right. If your new components are going to fail, the odds say that they will fail within the first few minutes of operation and the majority of those failures will have something to do with the MB. Minimize your system to the least amount of tested (and standard) components, make sure that only the necessary connections are made properly, and if it doesn't work, send it back...

Your right they should have failed a few minutes later, im completely lost on this one but is you first just give us a run down of what you did

A run down of what I did... okay =|

Bough everything, started to put it together, and I wore an anti static wrist band thingy so I was sure not to short anything out. I first installed my Processor into my MB, and then the HSF. Then I took my copper pillars to screw the MB into and screwed them into my case, then put insulation between the sidepanel and the MB to make sure even more than it wouldn't short. Then I popped in my CD-RW, my HDD, my RAM, Graphics card, sound card, plugged everything in all good, and then booted. :rolleyes:

This seriously is bothering me now, :(

If any of you guys(or girls) have MSN and you want to try and help me, my MSN is lilirishman7@yahoo.com Thanks.

Thanks guy,

Auman

You did too much at one time. If only I had a dollar for everything I've had to return or a nickel for everything I installed incorrectly the first time.... When you build, put together just what you need to post. Then add one device at a time. Sometimes you just need to unplug something and plug it back in so it will make a good connection. If you start up with everything, it might post and it might not.

There are a lot of parts that have to make good connections. A friend brought me a "dead" computer after it was left in the back seat of a car for four hours in the middle of summer. I took it apart, put it back together, and it booted fine. The thermal expansion of the components in the 120 F heat was enough to dislodge a connection. I don't know what was not making contact and don't care.

My first admin job was working with vaxstations in the late 80's. Sometimes, they'd stop working and I just had to unplug a card (larger than todays MB's) and plug it back in. Hopefully your problem is that simple. I'll try to email later after work (central time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom