msgsvr32 GPF in krnl386.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluephoenix

Beta member
I booted the computer up at work today and I could tell it wasn't any more happy than I was that it was Monday.

The scenario an my Windows 98se PC: It boots to the windows login prompt, I enter my domain username and password, and it attempts to run my login script and map my network drives but each attempted connection produces an error 53. Once the login script finishes its run an error dialog pops up saying Msgsrv32 has performed an illegal operation. Details show it caused a general protection fault in krnl386. Aftewards only the desktop wallpaper is displayed; I can move my mouse but the keyboard is nonresponsive (except for a CTRL+ALT+DEL). -- If I attempt to boot to safemode I at least see desktop icons but still can't interact with anything.

I understand msgsrv is responsible for managing several processes including playing a startup sound and spawing the explorer shell. I suspect the sound card or the net adaptor might be the culprit though things were working fine last week.

Any thoughts?

-Tim

boot to safe mode command prompt. run scanreg /restore. choose a date that the machine was working properly

what this does is rollback your registry to the date specified. windows automatically saves a copy of your registry for each day on a successful start.

GPF is memory-related... if it just happened recently, that means your RAM could possibly have some errors. Krnl386.exe is the kernel, that which executes code.

It's along the lines of memory addresses are called that do not exist... and when this happens, windows cannot add anything new to the memory.

Anyone that deals with memory testing can finish my train of thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom