dhcp problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwordsmanKaz

Solid State Member
Hi there
i have a small network a(like 4 pcs all running winxp) connected via smc switch.
Ok, the problkem is that one of them is constantly freezing and there is nothing i can do to un freeze it, i have to restart it and log again. but it is randomly, maybe after some hours of use, sometimes after a few mins.
so i thot of checkin the event viewer on the contorl panel, on the tab System of it, i found some DHCP errors (i mean with red icon), are this errors the cause of the problem? is there a way to prevent those errors? could you please tell me how?. none of the other pcs in the network have this problem.

thank you very much!

do the errors just indicate that you cannot find an address from the dhcp server? i feel that dun would have little to do with this problem.... but, please, post the entire message including the source and event ID.

ah ok, sorry for the late reply... was out of town, but i would like to know if u can still help me out,

ok, lets see it says:
Origin : dhcp
category: none
Type: error
event Id.: 1002
description:
the concession of the Ip adress 192.168.2.5 for the network card with the network address 4c00103ba7d has been denied by the Dhcp server 192.168.2.1 ( the dhcp server has sent a dhcpnack)

---
what u think?

how often are these errors occurring? this is probably occurring during the renewing of the lease for the ip address from the dhcp server. do you have access to the internet on this SMC device? or is it just a switch connecting the 4 computers and nothing more? this shouldn't be whats locking up your system though.
next time your computer freezes up, hit ctrl-alt-del and goto the task manager. sorts the processes by "CPU" and see which is the highest process in this field.

ok the switch is connected to a router that is connected to a adsl modem.
the errors occur sometimes just after turnin the pc on (just as soon as it enters windows)... sometimes while working... also there have been days without this error.

On your machine ping yourself...
ping 127.0.0.1... what does that say ?
can you ipconfig /release all ?
how about ipconfic /renew all
I take it when you ipconfig /all it responds with
0.0.0.0 ?

This could be as easy as resetting your router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom