Gigabyte 6600GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

hygor

Daemon Poster
Some of you may have noticed that a while ago I posted that my "Gigabyte GV-NX66T128VP PCI-E 128mb Geforce 6600GT Turboforce edition" was running at a very high temperature.

I will recap.. it idles at 66c and reaches around 91c-93c when gaming for a while.

I did have problems with artifacting, but have sorted them, but the temp is still a worry... someone told me to check the fan on my card was working... my card does not have a fan... just two huge heatsinks and a heat pipe.

I thought maybe that the fact they didnt use a fan was the reason for the high temps... well maybe partially, but someone else here on TF has the same card and theirs idles at 10c under mine.

So anyway I filled in a customer support form on the gigabyte website on the 17th of January 2005 saying this:

In the Nvidia advanced properties menu my Gigabyte GV-NX66T128VP (6600GT turbo force edition - PCI-E) is showing as idling at between 66C and 70C. This seems extremely hot to me. When I play a graphically intense game such as Doom3, after a while black snow like pixels appear (i have been told this is a sign of overheating). When I check the nvidia properties after closing doom3 when this happens it reports the 6600GT temperature to be over 90c... I am not overclocking the card and am wondering why this is happening and can anything be done about it?

They got back to me today on the 9th february 2005 (23 days later) with this absolutely worthless response!

Hi, For the GPU, it is more than 100 degrees Centigrade. As for the graphic card as a whole, we say we can guarantee it can withstand up to 50 degrees.

what a waste of time!

Oh well my card works and the rest of my system is wayyy under the temp of my old one (except the gfx card)... so I suppose I dont really have any problems...

but I think I would rate gigabyte customer service as -1/10

Yeah, I hate that kind of crap. Did you ever try phone service or is that rediculous as well?

Have you tried any alternative cooling? My 6800GT has a threshold of 120c! That is some crazy hot sh!t

its me that has that very same card and yea atm mine is sittin at 51 but it was down to 47 earlier today. ive never seen it about 65 and that was after 3 hours of NFSU2 which i play on full settings. I do have 80mm case fan blowing just next to it though i dont know if u have the same? i think wen i get a chance im gonna take the whole thing off and put sum AS5 on rather than the c**py pad that im guessing it will have on, maybes u could try and do the same?

aj2003 said:
its me that has that very same card and yea atm mine is sittin at 51 but it was down to 47 earlier today. ive never seen it about 65 and that was after 3 hours of NFSU2 which i play on full settings. I do have 80mm case fan blowing just next to it though i dont know if u have the same? i think wen i get a chance im gonna take the whole thing off and put sum AS5 on rather than the c**py pad that im guessing it will have on, maybes u could try and do the same?

When I play NFSU2 on full settings (which looks great and performs beautifully) I reach about 91c

i have two big 120mm fans in my case and my case temp is never above 25c

When I first got the card it idled at 71c so i took the heatsink off... but the heatpipe seems stuck to the gpu and I really wanna put some of my thermal grease on it but i dont want to break the gpu by pulling the pipe off.

When I tightened the heatsink when i put it back on the idle temp dropped to 66c... which has me thinking that a bit of thermal grease and reseating the heatsink etc would get it cooling properly.

in response to idiotec's question, no I havent yet rung the tech support line!

oh yiks thats hot :( well my case is about 30 during gaming. abit off topic is that temp from the nforce chip? cos nTunes monitoring program has another case temp that tells me mine is about 9-10C? il try taking mine of either 2morro or friday and see what i can do. there will have to be sum way of gettin it off because they have to let u put a aftermarket cooler on like a artic cooler that shoul dbe out soon fingers crossed

Gigabytes always been in that 'ehhhh' category IMO. Seen quite a few posts regarding their motherboards and a couple for their cards.

Try and jerry rig a fan on there if you have a spare one.

Try more case ventliation

I have a gigabit motherboard in a 2 year old ciero computer. For 400$ CDN, it came with 2.4 ghz celeron, 40 gig WD hard drive, 256 meg ram, gigabyte mobo, CD-ROM with keyboard, mouse and speakers as well as case and power supply and legal version of XP. This system has peformed extremely well for it's price.

Your thermal threshold is 127, but the snow means your card is overheating.

I got rid of the snow by clocking it down to 500mhz/1005mhz (for some reason it came factory set with the memory at like 1225mhz)

The only problem I have now is the temperature... but my case is at 25c which is low, my cpu is at 29c, I have two 120mm fans, so i dont really think that the case ventillation is the problem. just the grfx card!

You could also try getting a pci fan card like this:

lslotfan.jpg

aj2003 said:
oh yiks thats hot :( well my case is about 30 during gaming. abit off topic is that temp from the nforce chip? cos nTunes monitoring program has another case temp that tells me mine is about 9-10C? il try taking mine of either 2morro or friday and see what i can do. there will have to be sum way of gettin it off because they have to let u put a aftermarket cooler on like a artic cooler that shoul dbe out soon fingers crossed

well i had a go, i got the heatpipe off, just a gentle bit of rocking it back and forth... i then cleaned up the gpu and put the same antec thermal grease I used on my CPU.

But it is still idling at 66c... oh well... looks like that will never change!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom