How to tell if a processor is damaged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnu

Solid State Member
I have an Athlon XP 2100 and I'm not sure if it is damaged or not. I've already bought a new computer, but I want to know if this can still be salvaged.

I noticed that the CPU fan was not powered. I don't recall how long that had been going on. The cord had snapped or something. I reattached it.

Well, my old computer could start up, run through the boot up screens, but when it started to load Windows XP, it would freeze up. At first, I thought I would try re-installing Windows, but it would say there was an error with the CD. I know that was not really the case, because both CDs I used caused the error to display, and even then, I was able to use the CDs on my laptop without problem. So I don't know.

I've taken the system board out, and visually inspected the CPU. The core does not seem to have any anomalies, although I don't know how good a visual inspection could be.

Is there any other way to determine damage? From my description above, does it seem like it has been damaged? How long could my CPU have survived without the fan?

If you've damaged your cpu generally it won't get past the POST.

I would check your Harddrive first. Depending on the make, the manufacturer should have a disk checker of some sort on their site.

I second that.
Athlons get very hot very quickly so you've been lucky by the sound of it.

Check your CDROM first or try a replacement CDROM, if CD checks out ok, check the IDE cable & run some diagnostic tests over the mobo & RAM.

If the CPU fried, would the Mobo have been damaged as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom